The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Saturday I got a yellow scroll coral that had what was being sold at the lfs as a fire coral tagging along with it. I hear these are agressive and can sting. Any care tips on it and the scroll. My wife touched it with her finger tips before I knew that they can sting, but no rash, and I haven't seen the "stingers" yet. Also, if this thing is really a fire coral, I guess I should frag it off the scroll eh, if it is very agressive. This is how it came, sorry the pic is blurry, was getting it before the lights went out, will get a better one if needed!
So is this a fire coral??

Attachments

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Millepora are often pale in color but yours does have the white edges very typical of the species. If it doesn't have polyps but fine hairs instead, it's a fire coral. I'd definitely isolate it. They aren't fast growers but they will overgrow and often encrust anything next to them.

Don't pet them ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
i dont think that is a fire coral, my local aquarium store just got some in and it looks nothing like that. It is much brighter yellow and almost twiglike, not thick like the one shown there. just my opinion though im just going on what i saw in the store... if it was a fire coral i think your wife wouldve noticed right away, i heard they hurt... alot

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
There are different species of "fire coral;" the twig like one could be a coral that was encrusted by the fire coral or one of the smaller branching sp's of Millepora.

I've touched fire corals several times in the past and not felt anything but this was transferring them after shipping/acclimation so the "hairs" that pack the punch may not have been out or it may have been because I was touching it with the harder surfaces of my hands. I brushed up against one once with the inside of my wrist and I sure felt that one!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yes...many differnt species of hydrocorals exist, and all have a different degree of "fire" or sting. Many are non photosynthetic and others such as the millepora are light lovers. Just from my experience from diving, when I have come into contact with hydrcoral in a cavern or dark area, I have not been stung. I came into contact with some millepora one time and it got me pretty good. All in all, Aice is correct...There are different degrees of stinging ability.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Looks kinda like it but hard to tell sorry,I would still frag it and isolate it either way.:)

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Alan it's a fire coral. If you want to keep it, frag it ALL off that rock and mount it on a rock that you can isolate in your tank. Place the rock up high with only a couple of bottom points touching anything. They can sheet and cover the whole rock.

·
Lab Monkey
748 Posts
Also, fire corals are thought to actually grow faster towards other living corals and gorgonians and then grown completely over them.

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will be getting isolated. I saw what the stuff did in Peter Wilkens tank:eek: The white edges by the way, is where the wife touched it. If I would have known more when I got it, I may have gotten the other bigger scroll coral, but I like two for one's..:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts