The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
I promised no more tank picks until I get some livestock, however I did want to post a picture of the finished stand, if for not other reason than to prove that I did finally get the cabinet finished.

Ignore the yellow/green color of the tank, i couldn't get the white balance to show the true tank colors, AND not wash out the stand itself.

That and im in the middle of a nitrogen cycle algae bloom (YAY!).

Attachments

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Wow! That looks great RD! Good job on the stand!!:D

Jodi

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Dave that would be a beautiful addition to any reefer's home!! Very professionally done and can't wait till I see a pic of a couple of my frags in your tank in about a month or so!:D

P.S. Did you say you wanted a aiptasia frag as well! I could not remember!!:eek: :funny:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No we don't want to see them side by side...his looks much better than mine!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you guys mean Emptytankis Nowaterapora ?

I used to have a TON of that stuff, grows like crazy. I just got rid of all of mine though, moved it to an empty 55g I have in the garage. I guess I could ship Jay some....

Johnny-I can't wait till the cycle is over to get a couple frags from you. The algae just appeared from the time I went to bed last night till the time I woke up today (in about 6 hours) I went from none, to brown film everywhere, I guess thats to be expected as the bacteria convert the nitrite to nitrates eh?

How many of you folks do water changes during the cycle? I have heard not to because you are being counter productive with the cycle, however seems like it would make since to start getting rid of the nitrate early, and avoid some of the algae. I figure most of the denitrifying bacteria are in the rock and sand anyway, not in the main water column.

I started my RO/DI before I left so that I would have 10-20 gallons to do a change with if everyone agrees its a good idea.

Thanks for all the compliments.

Dave

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
No water changes should be performed or ammonia destroying products of any kind be added while the tank is cycling, as this only delays and drags out the completion of the process.

At least I did not do one!! :D

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Johnny,
I wouldn't consider any kind of ammonia removal chems, but I just thought that as the nitrates go up, i would need to start some sort of manual removal, didn't realize that the LR and LS would remove that much of the nitrates from the water. Wish I had my fuge set up already as I could add some calupera and speed things along a bit.

Oh well patience im starting to hate that word!

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Dave you wanna remove them Nitrates one word! CLAMS CLAMS CLAMS= ZERO NITRATES:dance: :dance: :banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats 3 words Casey!

Don't worry the whole point in the MH 250's was for SPS and some clams. It will be a while before I am brave enough to try one, but one is in my future for sure! Probably one won't be enough to remove my nitrates, but I will be getting one regardless.

Dave

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Casey said:
ha but he has no water:funny:
i beg your pardon!?!?!?!?!? WHO has NO water?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

btw: i'll be starting my own thread later, with plenty of pics, so as not to hijack daves thread :)

but, in the meantime.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
doug... your wish is my command :D

pretty ironic how similar they are. we started at pretty much the same time. and finsihed around the same time. and had no idea what the other was doing, until both projects had already begun. plus, we both got some of the inspiration from the same place!

btw: dave, great job. looks GREAT.

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks great Jay. It is funny how much they are alike. The sad part is how long it took both of us.

Looks like you have your Fuge up and running already, so you have me beat there, however I have my auto-top off builty already so thats a draw.

I also have my brine shimp hatching set-up inside the cabinet, but no reason to start hatching them just yet.

My stand will have some added color/texture when I get the latchs and handles put on the doors. I need the latches bad, as my son is already trying to open the doors. If you look at the right side set of doors on the stand, you will see a small black spot on the doors. This is where the doors have rubbed against the 60lbs bucket of salt I have to set there to keep him out of it!

Again, your tank looks great Jay, it will be fun to see a 6 month picture of stocked tanks and how REALLY different they look.

Dave

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Jays got water!:eek: :bigeek: :bigeek: :bigeek: :blob: :banana: :beer:

·
Administrator
47,660 Posts
Good Job guys, both are nice, tho I like the black accents on the left hand tank. Daves has a tendency to gost into the background , that is a kewl effect properly done, esp at night, house lights out, just the actinics on, hmmmmmmm xcuse me I think I have to go ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts