The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finished, acabado, fini, beendet, rifinito, terminado !!! :dance:

it is FINALLY done!!!!!!

well, the first shot is self explanatory, it's the front of the stand.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and here is a shot of the back of the stand. in an effort to save paint, i really didnt do much painting on the back, since it will be against the wall anyway.

as you can see i have already painted the back of the display and the right side. also the back and sides of the fuge. i left 6" on the back and side of the display, clear, so that after my overflows are installed, i will easily be able to see inside through the side cabinet, to look at whats going on inside the overflows.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is a closeup shot of the trim that runs along the top of the stand and the bottom of the canopy. they are matching trim's the top is 1" and the bottom is 3"

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
this is a closer shot of the fuge area. the door above, gives access to the fuge. for referance, the door is 8" high and 30" wide. gives plenty of arm room. lights will be mounted inside above the fuge, behind the stands 2x4 frame, so will not interfere with the door opening.

the bottom door will hold a pull out step stool to make working inside the tank easier. the stool will be 20" deep, 28" wide, and 8" high. i'll probably paint it white aswell. but i am going to a local skateboard shop to pick up some skateboard "grip tape" to coat the top of the stool, to prevent any slipping should it get wet, and of course the grip tape will be black :)

i'm contemplating whether or not to frame the fuge opening in black trim aswell. i thought not, because it would be close to the doors. also the fuge is backed in black, so i'm thinking maybe not. what do you all think?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here is the sump area. the sump is a 29g tank. and still leaves plenty of room in front of the sump for an external pump, should i go that route. and the doors give full access to the sump without working around a support beam.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and finally here is the cabinet unit that sits next to the display tank. this houses a 10g sterilite container for auto-topoff of the sump. will also hold test kits, and whatever else accumulates in there. thinking of putting a sort of "spice rack" on the inside of the door, for my test kits.

·
Registered
133 Posts
thefatman said:
i'm contemplating whether or not to frame the fuge opening in black trim aswell. i thought not, because it would be close to the doors. also the fuge is backed in black, so i'm thinking maybe not. what do you all think?
I'd trim it in black just for sake of consistency.

It's looking absolutely great. Can't wait to see it with water and sand all that other cool stuff in it. :beer:

My $0.02 worth. K.M.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm just extremely happy its finally DONE. now, of course, i have to do the plumbing uggghhh... and then get it moved into the house. i'd like to start putting water in, by the 4th of july, but we'll see how the stars line up for that.

the only thing i'm not real happy with is the hinges. the whole stand is black and white, then there are these brass hinges. i think they just stand out too much.

i've got three options, spray paint them white, to blend. or go buy fancier black hinges that will look nicer, and match better (i'm also picking up some nice black handles for all the doors), or simply jsut leave them as they are in brass.

any ideas?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm after looking long and hard. i dont like it. tank is too small. i think i should tear out that cabinet unit and replace the tank with a 125 or a 180 :D

ok ok i'll wait. one tank at a time :funny:

thanks for the compliments guys. and thanks for all the help and support during the design and building stages!!

now the real fun begins!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Man, nice work Jay. Looks like you're all ready to start the real fun....plumbing....oh, and lighting and cooling and...well you get the point.

Nice job on the stand!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well, Fatman, you have won the battle but the war will be mine.

Seriously looks great. I am hoping against hope that I can get a change to work on mine this weekend.

Dave

·
Registered
340 Posts
Beautiful. I can't wait till you get to fill it!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Looks great Jay... :)
I also agree that you should trim the edges of the 'fuge... it just strikes me as a bit 'unfinished' with it surrounded by white.
Otherwise, fantastic job man. :beer:

·
Registered
340 Posts
If Jay increases gallon capacity along the lines of post count, he'll be running the Monterey Aquarium soon. ;^}

1 - 20 of 40 Posts