The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since I had some questions on pointing returns for circulation, I needed to take pics. Ive been reading the site for a long time and not til recently started posting on it. So here she is. I had to do some mods to the tank since it was given to me like homemade overflows. Had to adapt them after there was water in it so it made it a little difficult.

let me know what you guys think

·
11,345 Posts
Looking good. :thumbup:

If you want a little constructive input I think you would be doing your tank and biological filtration a lot of good if you would either lift the rocks off of the substrate OR at a minimum, stack them a little more openly, so water can flow through your rocks a little more freely. I assure you your tank would be happier for it.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping for some constructive input. How would I go about lifting the rock off the substrate? I was thinking of maybe hiding a pump within the rock in order to keep circulation within it. Something like a maxi jet 1200 or something. Would this help?

·
11,345 Posts
There are many ways to do it. I went quite a bit out of the way to not only do it...but to do it nearly invisibly. There is a thread somewhere opn the first page here(maybe the second) of a much simpler way to do it that is effective as well. Ill look and get back...... here http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75026

here is how i did mine. On my new tanks they are acrylic so i dont have to have the PVC bracing but i do the same thing but with acrylic plugs instead to hold the acrylic rods.
http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70387

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Very nice but you can even make those rocks look more exciting by aquascaping. :) With those amount of rocks you can built caves, arch...etc.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was actually thinking of maybe setting the rocks up on the two corners to hide the overflow. They would be making like a ravine, but Im not sure how good itll look nor if it will be good for circulation. So setting them up to make caves and such is better?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts