1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Chloramine carbons are a waste of money in most situations.
As long as you use a 1 micron or better yeat a 0.6 or 0.5 micron 20,000 gallon Chlorine Guzzler type carbon you have more than is necessary. What most people don't realize is its the ammonia that is the problem with chloramines not the chlorine which is a walk in the park. A good full size vertical DI is a must since RO membranes are not good at all forms of ammonia.

I am not a fan of the BRS RO/DI systems as they don't provide the proper micron ranges for the prefilte rand carbon block. You need no larger than a 1 micron prefilter and an absolute rated filter is better than a nominal rated filter. For the carbon block look for the KX Matrikx+1 0.5 or 0.6 micron block. Two carbons are not bette rthan one good one and provide little additional benefit, in fact the additional pressure drop through the filter can be detremental rather than a plus.

If you are on a budget take a look at the BFS-161 75 GPD Premium found here for $169:
www.buckeyefieldsupply.com
It includes the better filters, a inline pressure gauge, a handheld TDS meter with a digital temperature read out, a better capillary tube flow restrictor and more for only $169.

If you want the best take a look at the Spectrapure MaxCap on sale at www.marinedepot.com for only $238. That unit includes a 0.5 micron absolute rated prefilter, a 0.5 micron carbon block, dual full size vertical DI filters with at least 3.5x the filtering capacity, inline pressure gauge, two dual inline TDS meters for 4 monitoring points and a capillary tube flow restrictor.

BRS has some really good stuff and I buy from them but their RO/DI is nothing special compared to others with many years in the industry.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the Spectrapure MaxCap definitly is a great deal. i didn't know it was on sale. i've been looking at the Spectrapure CSP and the 5 stage from BRS. i was leaning toward the one from BRS because of the extra stage. don't know much about ro/di units so thanks for the help. going to buy the Spectrapure MaxCap plus a auto shut off and float valve.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I believe they come standard with a hose thread adapter and like 6 feet of each color tubing.

Don't really pay much attention to the number of stages a RO or RO/DI has, its what is in the stages that counts. Just because brand X says 6 or 7 stages doesn't mean anything if they are coarse carbon blocks or GAC both of which are about as effective as a screen door or if they are little 6 oz horizontal DI's as most of the ebay vendors use. They are not the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts