The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

I finally had some spare time so here it goes. I pulled out most of my LR. I have about 200lbs total. I didn't pull out a few that had mushrooms, anenome etc. on them that I didn't want to fight with. I wanted to read up on the LR cooking thread again when I got a chance. For now, I swished and put them in bins with powerheads and heaters. I dunno if the heater is necessary but it is cold out in the garage. Here are some pics:

IMG_7979_1_1.jpg

Tank looks pretty empty

IMG_7980_2_1.jpg

Corals

IMG_7981_3_1.jpg

Tubs with LR

IMG_7982_4_1.jpg

Oh, thought I would throw the toys in there

IMG_7983_5_1.jpg

What a mess... How embarrasing.

IMG_7984_6_1.jpg

Reef mess... Doesn't everyone have one?

·
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll be replacing the SB as well during this process. There was about 20 turbo snail shells scattered around. Not much luck with those guys. Yes the one acro is pretty brown but I bought it that way for $15. I bought both the acros for $15 each. The one is getting good color again and showing growth.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Watch your levels, you just pulled most of your biologicl filtration.

Good Luck.

·
11,345 Posts
You dont even need to go the the effort of any siphoning. The stuff doesnt sit there long enough for anything to be sucked back up by the rock. Just rinse the bucket every week during your 100% waterchange.

I find it makes it much easier if you have two containers that you keep the rock in.......one full for your rock...the other ready for the weekly water change...then its a weekly rock swishing production line from one container to the next.....

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
along for the ride... :ac15:

·
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes, keep the heater in there.
Otherwise the rock might die if it gets too cold.
just do weekly water changes on the cooking rocks and try to siphon out all the crap the rocks spit out.

Other than that, just wait a month.
good luck.
Do you plan to go bare bottom on the tank now?
No, I don't plan on going barebottom. I really don't like how that looks. Sorry BB'ers. I plan on running a DSB again but doing it right this time. Hopefully preventing SO4 pockets and putting the rock up on PVC or Fly's fancy doohickies.

·
11,345 Posts
Well, I'm also killing off a half million zoos and a few mushrooms. They are taking over my tank. I hope that's ok.
FYI...unless you cook it for 10-12 weeks (or more) OR scrub and take kalk past to those zoas and shrooms......cooking your rock will not necessarily get rid of them

·
11,345 Posts
Hmm, bummer, I may leave those ones in longer then.

5-8 weeks is plenty IMO if you take an agressive approach towards it. I actually scrub my rock EVERY swishing with a plastic grout brush.

Just scrub those suckers and put a little bit of kalk paste on the struff you dont want if there is any doubt and they wont make it...i promise. ; )

I like to test the water in the container that has been cooking every week.......IMO, youre done when Saliferts test kit reads ZERO phosphates. To be sure, that doesnt mean ALL of the phosphates are gone as Saliferts phosphate test doesnt really go low enough to claim that.....but you will notice it not be a ton in the first week, then for a few weeks it will be at an alarming number...like 2-3+ FULL points....then for a few weeks or so it will be barely registering......

thats what i have found anyway on both rock that i got in as fresh uncured as well as rock i have had since i started reefing in the first place....

Another thing that helos i think is i do the first swishing in the big container with dirty water......you cna swish much more violently in a 50-100gallon coantainer than you cna in a 5 gallon bucket......then at least 5 -5 gallon buckets of ro/di ASW worth of swishing on the way to the new container with NEW ro/di asw.

·
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kalk paste? Don't have any of that. What's it fer?

So the last few rocks in my tank are HUGE. Probably 30-40lbs each. They definately won't fit in a 5 gallon swisher bucket. I'll have to use the tub for those when they come out.

Also:

How am I going to get my BTA out of the hole he's attached in?

·
11,345 Posts
Kalk paste? Don't have any of that. What's it fer?

So the last few rocks in my tank are HUGE. Probably 30-40lbs each. They definately won't fit in a 5 gallon swisher bucket. I'll have to use the tub for those when they come out.

Also:

How am I going to get my BTA out of the hole he's attached in?
Ive had some huge rocks too...not 30 or 40 lbs by any means but the ones that wouldnt fit in a 5 gallon bucket i swished the ends one at a time and then poured a ton of the ro/di asw on there.......keep in mind that after scrubbing(if you do), and swishing all of the other rocks in that original bucket...that water is loaded with P, and you really need to rinse or swish somehow with ro/di before putting it in your fresh water..... if your rocks are too big to get the ends in i would make up a much larger swishing bucket than 5 gallons for them......go buy a bunch of cheap salt for making up the water for this swishing/cooking project.....i had a couple of pails of reef crystals that i toasted by getting moist.....iut worked fine and didnt kill anything that i didnt kill myself by scrubbing

Put a powerhead blowing on your bta......just enough to annoy the heck out of him...he will move in a day or two

kalk paste is thick concoction you make ouot of kalkwasser and a little water

·
Registered
293 Posts
You dont even need to go the the effort of any siphoning. The stuff doesnt sit there long enough for anything to be sucked back up by the rock. Just rinse the bucket every week during your 100% waterchange.
Stuff can get sucked up by the rock again? how does that happen?

im also currently cooking my rock. doing a 100% water change and swishing it about every 2 weeks. I estimate ill be done early november, have had it goin since August 16

·
11,345 Posts
Stuff can get sucked up by the rock again? how does that happen?

im also currently cooking my rock. doing a 100% water change and swishing it about every 2 weeks. I estimate ill be done early november, have had it goin since August 16
The same way it got loaded with phosphates in the first place. By either sitting in water with jigh phosphates all of the time or sucking it up from a sandbed or pile of detritus it is sitting on. If you do it agressively, and change out at least once a week, i really do think 5-8 weeks is plenty...but test your water in the cooking bucket for phosphates......it will tell you when you are done.

I dont know how long it takes for the rock to suck it back up. Im suere there is a scidntific answer based on temp and phosphate saturation in the water(among other things) that control that...i dont know what it is. I do think two weeks is too long for it to sit in the detritus and dirty water........but it might not make any differecne either. I take a very aggressive approach to it though..usually swishing and scrubbing avery 4 or 5 days to be honest....a week if im feeling lazy. I think as much time as you are taking doing it that that should be plenty to still acoomplish th goal...but again test your water for P and it will give you a real idea of the progress you are making week to week.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I say don't worry about the temperature... remember that the ocean gets very cold at the poles and that does not kill the biological components. as a matter of fact, if you let the water get colder it will also help kill any other unwanted pathogens or zoos you don't want. I say no heater.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts