The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Well,

The tank is set and just waiting for it to clear. I added 45 lbs of Nambu rock today and a bit more sand (hence the storm). The Nambu looked pretty good...lot of stuff...it was 159$ for 45 lbs and that included shipping from Marine Depot.

I previously had 72 lbs from liveaquaria.com that I put in last week.

My ammonia is at 0.5 and no nitrites yet....I have to say that the worm and pod population is much ahead of my previous tank that I set up 3 years ago....last nite I looked and already there are a bunch of critters crawling around....I guess thats a testament to the rock from Liveaquaria.com.

The basement sump is a work in progress.......but man is it nice to work while standing up and not bent over under the tank...and being able to splash here and there is nice as well.....

Comments are welcome, I'll keep everyone updated....

PS - The canopy is a custom oceanic, made extra high for MH

Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and the sump.....

mag 36 return

Nautilus skimmer

reef fanatic level controller

Trying to set up my refugium...

Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The basement sump is nice.....I have had a few problems.

I accidently submerged by drain lines too deep in the sump, which created back pressure and some leaking on the low pressure drain lines......so I have to watch out for that.

It's funny, I haven't had any leaks on the return from the mag-36 at 3600 GPH....

Pat

·
Registered
104 Posts
Patman,

I read that you bought live rock from Marine Depot and LiveAquaria. Which place gave you better LR? and which place did you like better for shipping, how it arrived, etc????

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks like fun. I bet you spend more time at the sump than at the tank.
Sweet basement setup !

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dog is Killian....one of two goldens...the other one is Molson.......maybe I have a drinking problem....

Pat

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The shipping was very good for both vendors......

The tonga large rock was nice....3 big slabs in a 36 lb box and some smaller chunks. The lalo was ok. Didn't see a lot of hitch-hikers, no one fell off in the high SG dip.

The nambu from marinedepot was nice.....very nice chunks and shapes, but a lot more rubble then in the stuff from Liveaquaria.com.

Overall, tough to call a winner...but 159$ for 45 lbs of rock shipped is a good deal.

And like I said, I've got pods and worms within 1 week.

And....Nitrite is finally here! So the cycle is going well..

Pat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts