Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 75 gallon would I get 2 150 watt or 2 250 watt lamps
on the 150 would i get 6700K, 14000K, or 20000K
on the 250 would i get 67k or 20k
I want a nice blue look

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
depends on if you plan to use actinics or not... if you plan to use actincs, i would say the 150's with 10K bulbs would be the best. if you are planning on going without actinics (my preference) then i would go with the 250's with Radiums or XM 20K's. the latter is what i plan to do.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
If you want blue stay away from the 6.7kK they are yellow/orange

Over my 75g SPS tank I have 2 250w 14kK

i like the nice "cool blue" look

·
Registered
401 Posts
Really depends all on what kind of corals you want to keep...SPS get good growth from 20000k clams get good growth from 10000k softies and LPS get good growth from practically anything lol

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
what brand 14-15k...? I have seen some that are very blue (phoenix) and some that are very yellow (iwasaki). so all that said I prefer Radium 250w 20k on electronic ballasts with good quality reflectors, but if I was supplementing with Giesemann actinic + t5 ho, I would probably go with the giesemann 14.5k coral bulb in a 150 w once again w/ good quality reflectors and electronic ballasts.

I think you should look around @ some bulbs on actual tanks to see what you like. @ our store the shallow cube sps tank is lit by the Radium combination I mentioned, the corner tank is lit by Phoenix 14k on HQI ballasts with vho Super actinic supplements. I actually like the radium a lot more, but some people have a different opinion. So look around and get a feel for what you like and what you need for your specific needs.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I think corals will grow fastest in general under more par (more yellow bulbs usually 6700 K), up to a certain point at which you are just wasting energy and bleaching corals. Many colors come out... or pop better under bluer bulbs. I like a balance of growth, color, and visual appeal. If you are growing corals in a farm situation you might really prefer a higher par bulb to get more yield, but if you are coloring them up for the final sale or in a home tank you may sacrifice some par and growth to get more color.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The site that i am looking at is fishneedit.com
I am not sure about actinic s
what do they really do and would i need them
with the lights from this website. thanks for help

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
if you are looking at those, go with 20K bulbs... in the 250 watt versions...
I have been looking at the same thing myself for when i convert over. you can run their bulbs for a little while, but i would buy new bulbs. i would look into Radiums or XM 20K bulbs.

BTW, those do not have actinics...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts