The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sure there has been many posts for this and im too lazy too look. so here it goes...im starting up a 75g. folrls and maybe later convert it to a reef. my question about filtration is this. i have visited a few stores and read some topics online about this topic. it seems that most stores want to sell you the sump w/ bioballs and a skimmer. ive been to a store where the sales person stated bioballs are not a good option to go with. and a post ive read in response to my spray bar stated that bioballs are not very good either. the plan for the tank is to have 100 lbs of live sand. i have 60lbs in it now and i still want more height for the sandbed. the rock will be between 100-150 lbs. as for lighting i'll bring that topic up later. as for the filtration, the gentleman at the store recommended just a sump w/ a pump and add a skimmer later. so whats everyone's opinion on this? i know that w/ most nano's just a pump, lslr, and good lighting are pretty much it along w/ dosing.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
That's a lot of rock for a 75 - with all that sand you'll be hard pressed for "swimming room"... there's a movement away from deep sand beds (I never used them), check out the "Think Tank" here at TRT before you add all that sand, you might rethink your position on deep sand beds...

I'd concur with the gentleman you spoke with. A sump is all that's needed, I'd add the skimmer asap but it can be done later if necessary. The only "advantage" to a traditional wet/dry is that it's clean and convenient - you can get them without bioballs or you can remove the bioballs, it's a good receptacle for your pump, skimmer, heater and other accoutrements.

HTH
Jenn

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jenn,
since this is just starting off im ok, i havent gotten much of anything yet. only the tank, stand and 60#'s of sand. the sand is mostly for looks and i'd like to eventually add a mandrian goby. ive read you need sand and plenty of live rock for them. my last post was about the refugium and spray bar, so im glad you mentioned just getting a sump only too. can i get by w/ just a 20 g tank w/ the overflow running into it and a return pump? this tank isnt reef ready. its not going to be kept under the stand either. i wanna keep it at tank height and in the open.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Yeah you can use a tank for a sump but refer to Mega's comments - you need to siphon below tank level - siphons are gravity fed.

Best to plan out your setup on paper and have some of us check it out for you before you do it - some of us might have some positive input or forsee issues before they occur -- "been there, done that" as it were :D

Jenn

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok since the sump will be on a wire microwave cart i should be ok w/ hieght b/c i can just put it on the middle or lower self. if i can figure out a diagram i'll post one later. jenn right now there is 60lbs of live sand. its about 1-2 inches thick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts