The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the board. Im looking for some ideas(advice) for a filtration system for a large fish only tank between 800 and 1000 gallons. The tank will be built of plywood with an acrylic front. Im also thinking of using bulkheads for drains. Im at your mercy. lol

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
will this have a dedicated room behind it for all of the equipment? all i can add is get a really big skimmer and UV unit.:D

since it will be out of plywood, doing the drains and the returns will be relatively painless. i would also suggest a Closed Loop System of some kind to keep the water movement going.

do you have dimensions yet for the tank? what are you thinking about putting in the tank?

G~

·
Registered
68 Posts
The filtration will depend on what you are comfortable with and what you plan to keep. I would use a number of closed loops with good water pumps for water movement. You could connect some of the inline filters in one or two of these. ( Ocean Clear or LifeGard comes to mind). I am not a fan of UV on reef tanks. Kill to much life you want as food. I also do not use skimmers on some of my tanks. The anemones seem to do better in my tanks without the skimmers.

Ray

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
8' long , 4' high, 4' wide. Framed up with 4X4s and crossed braced. Fish only.
Thanx for the response. What type of pumps would you guys recommend for the closed loop system? I wanted to do a sump also for the tank. I plan on putting a uv for sure but im not sure about the skimmer yet. Also should I do a wet dry or just a large fluidized bed filter for bio.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
try here this is the big tank archive. there are a lot great pics of mojoreef's tank. he also gave descriptions of most of what he has used on this setup. i really like the coast to coast overflow he uses. if you can i would also suggest this.

can you put bulkheads on the left and right sides of the aquarium? just thinking of ideas for places to put the returns for the CLS.

G~

·
Registered
68 Posts
Geoff,

"but Mastino Mike was looking to make this into a fish only aquarium. does this change your advice any? or was i way off."

No there are many ways to do aquariums. I still prefer the "KISS" way. I've never seem were a UV sterilier helped a tank. I do know it kills some of what we want in a tank. Since I do not set up a tank, even a fish only tank; without LR, my answer does not change.

I believe before we build a setup, we need to decide what is going to be kept in it. What Fish? does he plan to keep.

Second I have not found a reason why you NEED a sump, a skimmer, or a UV sterilizer on a tank. FO or Reef. Yes I know this goes against almost everything written by the "Experts".

Mastino Mike,

For the water pumps you should go to a pool and Spa store. Get some good Haywoods or other brands. You should also consider their filter systems.

Stay away from the Wet/Drys. Use a sand bed and LR. Get the sand at Home Depot or Lowe's. 50 pound bags of play sand run about $2.75 a bag. For rock get Base Rock from www.hirocks.com then get some LR to put on top of it after the cycle is done.

What you want to keep, will also decide How much rock you need to make the fish fill secure. Secure fish stay healhtier, have better color, and swim in the open more in a flashy manner. The LR is also need for natural food for some fish. The fish you want may help to determine if you want to use Aquacultured LR from the Gulf www.tampabaysaltwater.com or from the Pacific.

Ray

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan to keep alot yellow tangs. A big naso, small clown trigger, Powder blue = if I could ever keep one alive for more than 7 months. Mostly just tangs. I want alot of color but the jury is still out on the livestock. Im not looking for anything too aggressive but I have to work the clown trigger in their. Do the Haywood pumps or Jacuzzi pumps need converting to saltwater? Do you think the LR is a must?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes Haywoods work well on SW systems. I would specifically ask about any pump I considered. I've used Haywood on 2 systems.

For me Live Rock (LR) is necessary. Fish without adequate hidding places and places they fill safe sleeping in remain stressed out 24 hours of the day. LR provides this. The bleached coral tanks you see usually do not. Just like stressed out people it takes it toll on fish with weakened immunity systems. That leads to more sickness and premature death. Some people, myself included; now comsider the Beach coral takes cruel and inumane.

Remember I use base rock for most of the rock work. You will need about 2,000 pounds of rock for a 1,000 gallon tank. A 1,500 pound tote of base rock is $1,050.00 at www.hirocks.com if I remember right. It will be LR in 30 days as far as biological filtering is concerned. The rest of the Live rock you can buy pieces at a time or a box at a time to stack on top for looks. You could actually use all base rock If you do not want the live forms that come out of LR with Time. Your fish will thank you. With Proper Hiding places they are healthier, and show better color and more natural swimming. With base rock the money you save on replacing fish will pay for itself ovver time.

Ray

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i also agree LR is a must. not only for the reasons given for the fish, but also for the fact that it is a great filter. it does not matter whether or not it is "true" LR or the base rock. all that matters is it is the same composition as the "true" LR. it does not take the rock long to be colonized by the beneficial bacteria. like Ray said it is just a matter of whether or not you want the added critters.

Ray- what you are saying is just run the tank with a CLS and nothing else? interesting. that would make for a very simple system. how often would you need to vacuum such a system? would a sump not help in the collection of the floating detritus?

how many CLS's would you run a system of that size. i would think 3. one for each side of the tank and one for keeping the backside of the LR clean.

thanks Ray,

G~

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
G and Ray, Im really thankful for the info. I have about 1,000 pounds of coral rock in my shed just waiting but I guess I will be purchasing some more rock. I am a UV beleiver! Ive had bad luck without pushing one. With these close loop systems pushing that much water are any of the fish in danger of getting stuck on the intakes to the pumps? I have two Hayward 1.5 hp pumps also that were used for an above ground pool. They make alot of noise but I never oiled them or serviced them. I also have a skimmer wich I think is a downdraft that was given to me but Im clueless in how to hook it up.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
what else do you have in your shed.:D

if you do plan on the UV and skimmer than a sump will be easier. besides it will also be a great place to hide your heater. i do not know what the magic percentage for sump to display ratio. i would think you might as well build yourself another 100g tank while you are at it.:D i do not know what the flow for the skimmer is. if it not outrageous then you could prolly go with a much smaller sump. the sump will just need to handle the flow of skimmer and UV only. i really doubt the skimmer will be able to handle one of those haus pumps. that would be mine first step. find out what kind of skimmer that is and what is its pump requirements.

G~

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanx again. Ill be starting basic tank construction very soon so I will post some pics later. So far Im thinking of two closed loop systems and the sump with a uv and the downdraft. The downdraft was handmade so I have no Idea of the flowrate, Ill have to compare skimmers of simular size. I would question its effectiveness on a tank of this size but its probably better than nothing. I will have to run new electrical also. Ill be bugging you in about 2 weeks at the most. Thanx G and Ray.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Geoff said:

Ray- what you are saying is just run the tank with a CLS and nothing else? interesting. that would make for a very simple system. how often would you need to vacuum such a system? would a sump not help in the collection of the floating detritus?
I would put one of the inline filters I mentioned earlier in one or two of the closed loops. Put shut off valves on each side of the filters for serviceing them. Set up right I would not vaccum the tank. I would use a submersible water pump one or twice a year as a tropical storm to stir up the tank and clean out dead spots.

[/B][/QUOTE]
how many CLS's would you run a system of that size. i would think 3. one for each side of the tank and one for keeping the backside of the LR clean.

thanks Ray,

G~ [/B][/QUOTE]

I set up spray bar assemblies made from PVC on both the intakes and outflows. I like the out flows stronger than the intakes. So I make the returns shorter and with less holes. You may want more than 3 closed loops. It will depend on the filters and UV he uses, and the final size of the tank.

Ray

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ray, I really want some intense lighting for the tank. I plan on using 2 400w MH and 4 55w power compacts. And maybe some shop lights. Would that be enough lighting to penetrate 4 feet of water?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mastino Mike said:
Ray, I really want some intense lighting for the tank. I plan on using 2 400w MH and 4 55w power compacts. And maybe some shop lights. Would that be enough lighting to penetrate 4 feet of water?
I do not have a tank that is 48" deep. So I can only take an educated guess. I would use a 400W MH every 2 feet of tank space. I would then add Actinic blues in either PC or VHOs Along the front and back edges if possible. I would not use shop lights for this. Make sure you have a way to remove the heat or a chiller.

The MH do not have to be in a straight line if the tank is also deep from front to back. You may want to stagger them. You will also need to rig it so the lights can be moved out of the way when you clean the inside glass.

Ray

1 - 20 of 20 Posts