The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
I have a new(used) 135 that I have cycling, it is going to be a FOWLR tank, and I am wondering about additonal filtration. There maybe 80 pounds of LR in it, I don't plan to put much more, if any, and about 1 inch of black Tahitian moon sand. There are no overflows, and I don't want to mess with hang on overflows, so I am already limited in my skimmer selection, so other than the best HOB Skimmer I can get, what else should I go for?? Any type of power filters, cannister type filters, or should I just rely on water changes?? I have never had a fish only system before, only the reef tank, and wanted some suggestions.
Thanks!
:D

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Hey Alan, good to see you back!

You can make a large skimmer to remove most of the DOC stuff by placing a Mag 12 behind some rock near one edge and have the pipe go out over the edge into a skimmer sitting on the floor. Just make ther return an inch higher than the top edge of the tank (i.e., if the top edge of the tank is at 5 ft, then the skimmer water level needs to be at 5'1"). If you drive it with a venturi or eductor, it will really kick for a FO system, and although nitrates are not scuh a big deal with FO, it will reduce the need for water changes and allow for the potential hitch hiker coral to survive in a FO system.

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So are you saying that I could run a more powerful pump to a large, in sump style skimmer on the floor, or talking about making a diy skimmer, specially fitted to my needs? Just so long as the return is 1 inch higher than the water level? I am not sure I am seeing this clearly in my mind, though you have opened my eyes to other possibilities, and I thank you for that!:D
I don't suppose there are any pics of this being done somewhere?
Thanks again!
I have always wanted to tinker with making my own skimmer anyway.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Demogarr said:
So are you saying that I could run a more powerful pump to a large, in sump style skimmer on the floor, or talking about making a diy skimmer, specially fitted to my needs? Just so long as the return is 1 inch higher than the water level? ...I don't suppose there are any pics of this being done somewhere?
You wouldn't need an in-sump stype skimmer, just make it waterproof and set it on the floor (I always think of in supm skimmers as leaky little affairs...). You could take a standard skimmer like Andy's (My Reef Creations) that has a gated effluent and place it in a box mounted on the wall (to hide the appearance if it is in a WCI (wife-controlled-interior) area :) ) and run the effluent back into the tank, just hang a framed piece of artwork on the outside and tell folks that it is there to give the room some perception of depth... :rolleyes: ...run the skimmate through a large diameter tube to under the tank to a collection pitcher. The key is to have all open parts of the skimmer (the top of the collection cup and the return for skimmed water) higher than the top of the tank. Having the pump in the tank avoids the use of an overflow, although putting the pump in the bottom of an in-tank overflow will skim the surface water off to remove those substances that collect there.

I have a picture of a large skimmer that sits on the floor next to a tank, I will try and locate it, or go upstairs and rephotograph it, it was a good dyi project, and the long interaction time between the air and water in a long tube increases the efficiency of the air-water interface reaction to extract molecules with dipole moments and non-ionic chains (DOC's). I am sure you can get busy ojn som large diameter PVC... :D

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cool, a pic would help, but I think I got it now. I will ask later on down the way I can't get it straight. I lready have an mr-1 from Andy on the reef, I could at least toy around with it until I commit!:D
Thanks.
OHH, and it is definately a WCI, hahaha:funny:

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One problem with the box idea is that the tank unfortunately had to go in front of a large window, no way to mount a box on the wall. I will probably have to just build a really long thin skimmer.
So I would want to run from the pump, over to the ground (assuming I set it on the ground) through an injector of whatever type I decide to use, then basically have the contact chamber as high as it needs to be so that the collection point is higher than the tank, and the return would also be higher than the tank..
Or I could just rig Andy's to hang on the back of the tank, and figure out someway to make it look acceptable.
Am I seeing this correctly?? I think I got it I am just tired right now!!:D

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i like the 6 foot high skimmer idea.:D total height of the 5' 1" high effluent skimmer talked about. i like gravity fed tanks. they seem less likely to flood if the tank looses power. my entire system is gravity fed. my skimmer is connected pretty much like Tom is suggesting. my skimmer dumps into my refug then the refug into the tank. but the skimmers effluent could easily be moved directly to the tank, bypassing the refuge.

i really like the fact that my CLS's have sponges on them. the amount of detritus i collect off of these sponges is amazing. i think some kind of collection system like this would be good in a FOWLR system. just make sure you clean them out regularly.

G~

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Heh! what Geoff said. You're on the right track.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts