The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,
I 've been reading a couple of post here and there on filtration. It seems that bio-wheel is a no-no for nitrate reasons.

But then I hear about HOB filteration but without any media...so this might be dumb question but why have a HOB or any other mechcanical filteration then (given if you have enough LR and LS)? Besides the use of the filter for water movement, what benefits does it have?

Do people have filter w/ only floss running to pick up junk in tank then?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I dont think its needed ,I have a sump and that is where I add
carbon when needed or whatever my protein skimmer is in there to,I use lots of live rock and sand for fitration I feel this is absolutely the best method some people use canister filters just for water movement or to add carbon etc to,or maybe they are just coming over from a FW tank and cant kick the can:D

·
Registered
637 Posts
Casy do you have a nano also? I know you have a VERY VERY NICE 180 gallon tank!! Do you have any new full pictures of that?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
bamann345 said:
Casy do you have a nano also? I know you have a VERY VERY NICE 180 gallon tank!! Do you have any new full pictures of that?
Thanks William I had a nano 25 gal up until last month it now has turned into my new 75 that I currently am working on,I will try to get some pics today after a little cleaning:)
I have the 100 gal reef 180 fo and 75 in the making

·
Registered
384 Posts
running a HOB without media is STRICTLY for water movement, it is used as an alternative to a powerhead....I think a powerhead gives way better movement though

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm keeping a second 10gal for seawater to use in water changes. I have a heater in there and a biowheel to keep things moving. Do I really need that? ...or should I remove the filter media from the biowheel and just let it cycle water? I stuck it in there just b/c I'm not using it for anything.

·
RRVAC member
209 Posts
kluver: how big is your tank? a hang on gives all the flow i need for a 2.5 and takes up way less space than my bulky powerhead (not to mention it doens't case a shadow). also, it breaks that surface scum more so than a powerhead did.

if you have the extra tank space, go with a powerhead for water movement, but if in tank real estate is tight, go with a hang on (nice place to put heater if the hang on is big enough)

·
RRVAC member
209 Posts
oh yeah, quacker: remove the biowheel and the media, you don't need either, and it will give more flow without.

and casey: nice tank/stand/canopy. that's really slick, but i don't really know how i fell about those sea creature door handles (to each his/her own, i guess)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tyler---I got a 5 gal but thinking of moving to a 10gal today.....well I'll just take everyone's advice here and use it for water movement then....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts