The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a tropical fish keeper and have had a long interest in marine fish. i'm looking to get a 60-70 gallon tank, what sort of filtration do i need. i thought maybe just two cannister filters and a protein skimmer, what else would i need. also can you use beach sand in a tank.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
welcome "he who has name similar to me" :funny: i was wondering when you were gonna finally post! we gave you a big welcome on your first day, but i dont think you ever say it.

for SW, your filtration is dependant upon what you want to do ie: a REEF tank with corals and fish, or a FOWLR that has fish and rock and sand, or an FO which is fish only.

if you go reef, or fowlr, then you dont need canister filters. the live rock, and live sand are your filter! a protein skimmer, in my opinion, is standard equipment for all sw tanks.

If you plan on having a fish only tank, with no live rock, then yes, i think two canisters would do well, imo

beach sand: i would not do it. too many polutants, and it may be silica based. however there are people that do get thier sand themselves from the ocean, but from far off shore. if you have the ability for doing that.

then again, someone else may be able to say whether your specific sand is ok. perhaps the beach sand in your area is not silica based. i'm notsure.

*mods: could someone maybe move this over to general reef discussions?

again welcome to TRT, you'll get lots of responses here!

·
Registered
16 Posts
welcome
i have a 65gal tank. for filtration i have 20 gal tank for a sump a skimmer and a mag7 return pump. i have 30# of live rock and 20# of reef sand
my tank has been doing very well with this setup(almost a year)

george

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, im a new comer and its good to know there are peope who are willing to help out. If you've got time, i have a couple more quetions... what exactly is live sand, i have a fair idea but i'm not sure about how to get it, also do you know much about using mangroves in the sump

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Live sand is just sand with bacteria in and on it,can be ordered online or bought at most good stores,mangroves need to be able to grow out of the water to do best they are great at eating nitrates etc.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Fatamaran,

The investment in live sand or aragonite is worth it. A three to four inch sand bed is about right. You may want to construct a plenum to place under the sand (do a search on plenum).

Live rock is another valuable investment. Not only does it provide natural filtration, but both a live sand bed and live rock provide food for interesting critters you'd not otherwise be able to keep.

I'd invest in a smat back of live sand (say 20lbs) then the rest make up with fine aragonite. Then pick up 120-150lbs of live rock. This is a bit costly, but well worth the investment.

For mechanical filtration: use the canister filters only when you need to clear the water. Like after you add the sand or blow off the live rock at times. Other than that store the canister. In the end you'll only need a skimmer (a good one) and regular water changes.

Consider adding a sump to increase the volume of water and add a place to put all the unsightlies (skimmer, heaters, etc).

Remember to put this together slowly. Your building an eco-system in the tank and that takes time to do.

Joe

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
as stated above, live sand acts as a filter by hosting beelions of bacteria that break down ammonia and nitrite into nitrate. along with these bacteria you will also find a host of other critters... worms, small crustaceans, etc. in active and established sand beds. if you can find a store that sells live stand, getting a good 10 to 20 pounds would be a great way to start. also if you are dialed in on a reef club in your area, you can hit up some of the members for a couple of baggies of sand from their systems. this will help seed your system by taking already living organisms from theirs. then throw in a hundred and fifty pounds of aragonite based sand from home depot and you are set.

as for rock, i would definately invest in a good supply of high quality live rock, and if you plan to take the construction and aging of your tank slowly (a VERY good, arguably necessary idea) then you can also look into buying dry baserock to get the bulk of your reef structure, say 100 lbs from a place like www.hirocks.com and then top it all off with a good 25 to 30 pounds of premium quality (and thus price) live rock.

if you take this system, put the lights over it and get the filtration running and let it just go for a couple months, the live sand will seed the entire sand bed, and a predator free environment will allow the tiny detrivores to flourish. also the live rock will seed the base rock, and with proper water chemistry, coraline algae and other life will slowly spread to the cheaper base rock (30 cents a pound versus 6 bucks a pound).

great size to start out by the way. you should have a very good sized tank for learning chemistry balance and organism placement, without getting into the very expensive lighting and filtration required on some of the bigger tanks.

HTH

ryan

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Oh, so much to think about! So many descisions to make! I bet its a bit overwhelming right now...and...what the heck is a plenum! Hah! Welcome to TRT and to saltwater aquaria. Feel free to ask as many ? as you want, there is always someone lurking about that will be happy to answer them.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Welcome to the TRT!!!

ok this Fatamaran and the Fatman thing is going to get weird.:D

i am sorry, but where is Adelaide, Au. are you on the shore? hopefully some of the more knowledgeables in sand will pipe up. you may be fine just going to the shore and getting some sand. i know around here it all depends on which part of the country you are at as whether or not the sand is good stuff.

G~

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Adelaide is in southern australia, i live 200metres from the shore. the sand seems clean, then again its hard to say just by visual inspection. so im not sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts