The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to set a 150 gallon aquarium soon,i was wondering is an e-shoppe wet/dry filter system is it a good brand,it is cheaper than the mega flow,was wondering how good they are than the megaflow. if anyone has one ,let me know how good they are. thanks

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
FO or Reef...I not a big fan of wet/dry period but if done right they can be OK on a FO tank. Can you post a link to the unit(s) you are looking at?

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,674 Posts
I guess your setting up a Fish Only?but if your setting up a Reef or a Fish Only with Live Rock ,then I wouldn't use one.The Live Rock is your filter.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
OK, I'm confused...if you're doing FOWLR that's one thing...if you're thinking "hard" corals, that will dictate some different equipment and a somewhat different approach...I personally would not "buy" a filter like that for either type system (if you had one already that's one thing and there are things that can be done to make them work better). If you have live rock in your system that is a better biological filter...bio-balls have been shown to be problematic especially in a reef system.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
going to have live rock only and fish only maybe so hard coral thats about it so far,thanks guys
If you have corals at all, any at all, forget the word "bioballs". The nitrates they produce will be detrimental to the health of the corals and can even potentially kill them from elevated N levels.

As for the particular filter box, all you need is a sump, no bioballs. Use LR in the tank for filtration, put a skimmer in the sump and go with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts