The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,

I've been taking a close look at some professional reef tanks like 2sunnys, chris' 220 peninsula, and a bunch of others. I was wondering how you guys can get corals to grow within millimeters of each other without consequence. Eventually I want to have my LR aquascape completely covered with corals and was wondering whats the process behind this. I know that they grow and expand naturally to fill in the gaps but I want to know if there are any other tips to complete this look.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
tagging along. im curious too. i want mine to look like 2sunnys

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
While I do agree that Nematocysts play a part there is a little more to it.
Geoff there is another more frequently deployed by SPS, Cnidocytes.

Some actually get along and will actually grow into each other and get along. I would say maybe 30% actually do get along. Surprisingly not always from the same species.

The trick to filling all the spaces is getting wet.......

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
While I do agree that Nematocysts play a part there is a little more to it.
Geoff there is another more frequently deployed by SPS, Cnidocytes.

Some actually get along and will actually grow into each other and get along. I would say maybe 30% actually do get along. Surprisingly not always from the same species.

The trick to filling all the spaces is getting wet.......
cool, new term. looking it up now.

i knew the same species would grow together for a while, but eventually they kind of merge into one. M. capricornis is the most commonly seen doing this, at least this is what i remember and have had experience with.

G~

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
ok, so far nematocysts are just a classification of cnidocyts. the others being spirocysts, and ptychocysts.

do you have articles that we can read. i am guessing that certain coral types have an immunity to these different cnidocyts which can allow them to get close enough to touch without harm.

i am guessing you mean pruning by getting wet. :D

G~

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I think it falls back to research and even some trial and error...as mentioned above some corals will play nice and some will "fight"...at the extreme some corals lack the ability to "attack" and some more aggressive sp. posses mesenterial filaments that can attack and literally dissolve a neighboring coral in mere hours...and everything else falls somewhere in-between.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I believe the size of mesenterial filaments are often proportionate to the size of the polyp...hence, they are much larger and easier to see and can do more damage on LPS corals...it's my understanding that most sp. of SPS do use mesenterial filaments primarily at the tips and the encrusting edges to help clear the way for new growth.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
ok, so far nematocysts are just a classification of cnidocyts. the others being spirocysts, and ptychocysts.

do you have articles that we can read. i am guessing that certain coral types have an immunity to these different cnidocyts which can allow them to get close enough to touch without harm.
Of course :D
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/coralcare/a/coralcompetitio.htm

i am guessing you mean pruning by getting wet. :D

G~
No actually I mean moving corals as they fight.....

The way I do it is:
with smaller frags you want to protect them. They can be wiped out very quickly. Where larger colonies can spare a lil real estate.

I will slowly place corals closer and closer until they are just close enough to NOT kill each other. As they grow towards one another I feel at time they will build up tolerance for each other and either grow into each other or expel Cnidocytes, die a lil then grow in the other direction.
Usually I see this at about 3/16" to 1/4" from touching.

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it looks like the mesenterial filaments are mainly on LPS. are they also found on the fuzzy sticks?

rustl3r do you have a particular type of coral.

G~
my tank is mostly LPS and sofites. I do have an SPS millepora but it is a trial run.

So you guys are saying that large colonies are more durable when it comes to warfare with neighbors?

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
large colonies are not any more resistant than lil frag...

The colonies just can sacrifice an inch to territorial warfare whereas a 1" frag would be completely destroyed

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
large colonies are not any more resistant than lil frag...

The colonies just can sacrifice an inch to territorial warfare whereas a 1" frag would be completely destroyed
Righto. So if you were placing say an acanthastrea close to a favites you would slowly bring them closer together and keep a very close eye on them so they dont fight.

Geoff, Sorry if i seemed snappy before, Its been a hectic day at EAFB and I only had time to glance at TRT.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts