The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?
Is aquacultured a good replacement for Fiji or Tonga rock.
By this I mean will it have the porosity and biological advantages of "real" live rock.
All I know about the stuff I am considering is that it is calcium carbonate.
and is cured with fresh live rock.
Well I guess the question is
Would you consider it as a substitute or is it better to go with the real deal?

Thanks everyone. I was considering actually going about half this stuff and half fiji.

Opinions?

·
Ghetto Reefer 101
1,447 Posts
If you are looking for decorative rock with a bunch of cool stuff and also some very bad stuff go with Aquacultured rock.

If you are looking for the best rock for filtration (pourus), cool shapes and little bad stuff go with fiji.

You can get almost double the surface area of rock in fiji compared to aquacultured rock. I have both in my tank and I like the fiji rock much better.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whta exactly do you mean by bad stuff?
so the aquacultured just doesn't filter as well.
The reason I ask is because it seems quite cheap. So by going with some of each I can save some cash
but it is worth the extra cash to go with the real fiji?

·
Master of Perplexity
3,451 Posts
Because the aquacultured usually has it's origin in landbased quarries, there is the potential for high phosphate levels in the rock. Also because it has been removed from the water, kept in water and shipped to your door, it can have crabs and mantis shrimp still alive in it, that is not entirely good. I got one piece of aquacultured and (thank goodness) put it in a prop tank. Thre were 8 crabs and two mantis shrimp in it. The shrimp didn't make their presence known for six months, so they must have been little when they arrived.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why would aquacultured rock have mantis shrimp
in this case they are curing with fresh rock. So wouldn't it only have stuff the fresh rock has. They seem to have a small scale system going on. They are culturing the rock in a tank not in a bay or cove or somewhere like that?

make sense?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Cosine said:
why would aquacultured rock have mantis shrimp
in this case they are curing with fresh rock. So wouldn't it only have stuff the fresh rock has. They seem to have a small scale system going on. They are culturing the rock in a tank not in a bay or cove or somewhere like that?

make sense?
Most of us think of the Florida Aquacultured rock here, Cosine. You are talking about something different I presume?
Steve

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay thanks Steve.
That is an uderstandable assumption
Sorry for the confusion
I'll email the company itself to get a better idea of what critters/potential dangers might be a problem

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I Think that they do the same , I Think it time that we llet the natural reef be and cause no more demage to our reefs and use Aquacultured rock , That just the way I feel , Florida Aquacultured rock seem fine , Not to say that I don't think that figi may look better and all. but sooner or later the reef are going to be gone for our pleasure .

·
Master of Perplexity
3,451 Posts
Oops, I didn't read the first post good enough. If the rock is "aquacultured" in a tank with other live rodck, I see no reason why it wouldn't be fine, with the possible problem with phosphate. Might be more expensive too. I'm experimenting with making live rock now myself, using manufactured rock, and using aragonite base rock from the Keys.

·
Reefer in training
1,492 Posts
aquacultured rock comes from the ocean (at least the rock from TBS and GulfView). Thats why good and bad stuff get into it. A lot of folks are very happy with this stuff. Tough decision.

·
OK Im Just Going To Look!
181 Posts
I have 90 pounds of the florida aquacultured and have had no problems with it except for the mantis shrimp in the begining but i took that rock back to the store. But the bottom line is i would never buy it again just because the structure of the rock is round and doesn't stack well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts