The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been looking for a show fisdh for my tank for about 6 months now. I have been leaning to a nice blonde Naso, But have not been able to find a real nice streamer model yet. So here comes a buddy with this guy, man my tang dropped to the floor. Hes a 9 inch vlamingii tang, full adult coloration. Man I know these boys get big (up to 2 feet) but thier are peaceful and eat almost anything.
So TRT what say you. Is 16 feet of swimming space enough????

Mike

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i dont know, but if it is.. that boy is awesome mike!! i'd have to seriously consider it!!

or, you could always build a bigger tank :eek:

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Mike I doubt he would get that big in your tank,he sure is awesome though I have seen those before sweeet:)

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Well, you could look at it this way, if you don't take him, someone's going to end up with him in a 300. I'd go for it Mike; about the only way he's going to get more space is at the Aquarium.

Oh man, the Sailfin is gonna be ticked ;)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
WOW!!!

I don't EVEN want t know what that is going to set you back... :eek:

Alice said:
...Oh man, the Sailfin is gonna be ticked ;)
Heh! Send the sailfin for an extended vacation at the Walnut Grove Seaquarium... :D

·
Administrator
47,619 Posts
tank is 2 deep on one end and 3 on other end(front to back)
I suspect it could manage
I could do a swimmer turn in it :D

·
Registered
852 Posts
I agree with Alice. It probably stands a better chance in your tank than someone else's.

Gonna be a whooper for your bioload though ;)

·
Super Moderator
27,666 Posts
No, I bet he has to do a 3 pt turn, Geoff ;)

What a magnificent fish, Mike!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea Tom he is a little pricey. Like 80 bucks, that would be the most I have spent on a fish, lol. I guess that is a good way to look at it alice, and yea the sailfin will be pissed, but lay de da. I think it5 could turn around no problem Geoff, I know when I fell in I was able to, lol

Mike

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Mike I think that fish is as good as in your tank! Get it buddy!!:D

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
...and on top of that, you KNOW that to get them to do the color change/display that you need at least one mle (to do the display) and one female (to incite this behavior), so that means getting at LEAST 4, and even then chances are 1 in 4 of meeting the requirements... prolly best to have a min of 1500 gal for this fish, and multiple specimens would prolly require more like 3000 gal (4 feet top to bottom, 8 feet wide, 12 feet long)...

Better get the blueprints out! I think Harker used 48" x 96"x 1inch sheets supported by blocks every 8 feet. silicone inall the seams and pool paint to line the cinder block t make it wawterproof... Heh! cheaper to pour gunnite and place a pair of 4' x 8' viewing ports! I remember being a kid in Charleston and seeing one of the hotels near the Medical school that had an above ground pool with ports on the side... :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you KNOW that to get them to do the color change/display that you need at least one mle (to do the display) and one female (to incite this behavior), so that means getting at LEAST 4, and even then chances are 1 in 4 of meeting the requirements
Ok Tom I didnt see that. I read harkers and other articles on them and from what I have seen and read that once they turn this color they stay. It is thier adult coloration??? or least thats what I have found from my research. You have the time shoot me some links.

Mike

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Wish I had some links to send you, in fishbase under the latin name Naso vlamingii. You might try using just the species name for the search.

Here is what I know, maybe this will help. there are several different displays that these Acanthuridae twin spined tangs have. They have a mating display in which they turn a bright light blue that may be solid or dappled with yellow, even brilliant blue with yellow ripples to yellow with blue ripples that move across the flanks of the specimen. They change color when demonstrating dominance or aggression (colors may be the same although patters may differ), and will adopt a neutral steel blue color when assuming a cleaning stance at cleaning stations for wrasses and shrimps. The color changes are instantaneous and may be used as a barometer of mood in these fishes. Feeding may become extremely aggressive, to the point that in smaller tanks these fish may wound both other fishes and those of the same species with their securely attached and raised dual spines on both sides of the caudal peduncle. Limited space appears to increase the aggressive behavior patterns of this species. The info I have comes from Baensch and some stuff I got from Jay at the St. Louis Zoo, wish I could give you some links, just dont know where about half the stuff for the library is yet (still unpacking a box a week), but there is a link on fishbase at this addy

hth, sorry I can't find the stuff here from jay, it is geared towards folks keeping them in public display aquaria.

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Well, #&^@!! I read through I don't know how many pages of crud to come up with half a dozen links, some of them quite humorously translated into English, but managed to lose them all when I got bumped offline. Grrrr.

The upshot is Mikey, I didn't find much solid info. Some comments and some pics of adult solitary V tangs in tanks ranging from 100 to 240 gallons, all looked fat and sassy, seemed to get along fairly well with tankmates, including other tangs. None of them showed super bright coloring though (the blue markings stood out well in the photos, however) so the color thing may be something to consider.

Alice

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
mike if it's at an lfs... and YOU dont get it... someone is gonna buy that thing and plop it down in a 75 g tank as if it were an oscar or something :rolleyes:

triggereel mikes tank is pretty large, why do you think it wouldn't be big enough? the fish is only 8" if i remember what i read last night. it COULD get up to 2 feet, but it's not yet. and may not get that big.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts