The Reef Tank banner

Feeding the Tank?!?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Along with this poll, I am wondering what your feelings are on feeding my tank. I am having a hard time judging on how much to feed everyone.

So, here is my list of livestock:
2 False Percs (< 2")
2 Clarkii's (Female about 2", male about 1")
1 Onespot Foxface (< 4")
1 LMB - 4"
1 Atlantic Anenome
New Livestock
1 Naso Tank - 3"
1 Hippo Tang - 1.5"
1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang - 3"
3 Green Cromis < 1"

1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Pistol Shrimp
Various Polyps, Zoa's, Colt Coral, Shrooms

So, what do you think I should feed these guys. Right now I am alternating feedings between Nori every other day and about 1 to 2 frozen cubes of either Mysis, Brine, Cyclopeze, or other plankton every other day.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i feed 3 times a day.

i am trying to keep crinoids so i need to feed quite often to make sure it gets enough food.

one cube in the morning before lights on around 8am
one cube when i get home around 6pm
around 6 i will also put a strip of nori in the tank for the tangs and angels
one cube after lights off around 11pm.

sometimes i am lucky and will get the crinoid open for the 6pm feeding, but most of the time it is still curled up and hiding waiting for the lights to go off.

as for fish load. 125g
1 clown tang
1 gold rim tang
1 blue fairly wrasse
1 green fairy wrasse
2 Swallowtail angels
5 glass cardinals
1 midas blenny
1 bi-colour blenny
3 barred flagtails

food does not last long in this tank, gotta love a BB tank. :D

G~

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Though I thought every other day was every 2 days....

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
3 days on...one day off

Blender Mush...Mysys...Formula 2...Day off

·
Registered
590 Posts
Twice a day. Very small pinch of Omega One in the morning and one cube brine in the evening.
4 blue chromis
1 Coral Beauty
1 Small yellow tang
1 bi-color gobie
1 mandarine
1 6 line
1 talbot damsel
1 yellow tail damsel
1 maroon clown

Two blood shrimp that find their own and a couple of anenomies

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have 5 Reef Tanks in my home. A 120G, 3 75G's and a 12.7G. All are fully stocked with fish, corals & anemones (No anemone in the nano with it's PC lighting).

I feed every other day and I alternate the foods. Say for instance.....Today I feed Mysis Shrimp. Then on Saturday I feed Prime Reef Flakes. On Monday I feed Formula One & Formula Two Pellets (Mixed). On Wednesday, Omega One Marine Pellets with Garlic. As a supplement I feed Nori to the 3 tangs in my nano every 3 days and also dose Vita-Chem at that time.

·
Lost Fish
1,203 Posts
I feed twice a day because everything I have in the tank. I usually don't feed a lot but I do feed the fish plus the shrimp.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
3 Tangs in a Nano?!? :lol:
hehehehe I added that to see who would catch that first! :) Good job! Didnt take long at all.

Actually my Hippo, Purple & Yellow tangs are all in the 120G :)

·
Professional Tread Killer
754 Posts
i feed twice a day with pellets and twice a week with mysis when i target feed my bubbletip anonome..

my critters:

10 gallon:

1 yellow tail damsel
1 bubbletip anonome
3 blue leg hermits
2 snails

29 gallon:

2 perc clowns
1 donino damsel
3 blue leg hermits
2 snails
1 turbo snail

refug on 29 gal:

4 red leg hermits
1 turbo snail
2 snails
2 softball size portions of Chaetomorpha
1 Shaving Brush (which the hermits broke the stem on climbing on and have some live rubble around it to prop it up with)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
i do 2 times a day both with flake and some brine frozen but sometimes i use live when i have a good batch growing

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
For me, it all depended on my skimmer.

When I had my Prism skimmer, I fed 2-3 times a week.

Now that I got my MR2 running full force, I feed every day. Sometimes twice a day.

If you got a good skimmer...feed a little more than normals.

Other than that, your plan sounds perfect.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Hi Frank
I feed once a day except wed and sat no food at all on those days. Every day I try to feed a little something different. I feed formula 1 or 2 cyclopeez nori freeze dried shrimp shrimp pellets frozen brine frozen mysis shrimp frozen clams and table shrimp. I mix any combination of the above.

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
Hi Frank
Every day I try to feed a little something different.
I did the same when i had fish, I look at it this way i know i don't like the eat the same thing day after day and so on. So i am sure the fish would like something different every day and it also helps them get not to picky only wanting to eat one thing. Not this would ever happen but if your fish only ate food "a" but they don't sell food "a" only food "b" then what would you do?:arg: Not that any of that made sense, but it did in my head.:beer:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts