The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much SHOULD i be feeding my tank..i feed shrimp (Mysis,Brine & BabyBrine) to my, Yellow Tang,Coral angel,Hawk,Maroon Clown,Neon Goby,MoonStone,Chili,Carnation,Toadstool. Cyclopeeze to chili also.

i also use Choma,Zoo,Phyto planktons.

& feed dried seaweed to tang & angel..

how often should i feed & should it be more than 1 cube of shrimp a day..

I HAVE NO SKIMMER !

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
i would honestly get a skimmer..
with that feeding . you are looking at a alga headacke down the road.
the tangs are the biggest eatter problems, they need to be fed often to stay healthy. feeding the nori is fine. i woudl cut everyone elses food to 2-3 times a week. even the corals should not need it.. the chili.. that is questionable.. since we know they can be very hard to care for.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i have a monster skimmer and a BB tank. i feed 3 full cubes a day, plus a small strip of nori.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND this feeding for anybody that has a sand bed. i have a very specific critter i am trying to keep alive, so i need to feed this often and my tank is designed around this.

if you have sand in your tank, you should prolly be feeding every other day at most.

Chili- you are in an interesting delema with the Chili coral. since people are not exactly sure what they eat, running skimmerless could be good, but massive water changes would be important, along with detrital removal whenever possible.

G~

·
Registered
959 Posts
I agree - every other day should be good.

Stop feeding adult brine shrimp. They are a waste - unless you are gut loading live brine shrimp 15 min before feeding. Dead brine shrimp are not able to be gut loaded cuz dead frozen brine shrimp dont eat. They have little to no nutritional value and if you are feeding mysis you dont need brine. Baby brine, however, are great to feed.

If you go with every other day you should be fine.

Feeding every other day makes the fish wander the tank and search for food so they'll be doing what they naturally do in the wild. Be prepared for begging until they learn the new feeding schedule. ;)

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive already cut feeding down to every other day..i only give the chili baby brine..the moon gets a little pinch of target fed adult. & the fish gets the rest..the plankton is used every other day...& i DO already have a bad cyano alge outbreak..i think its killed my carnation..it did good till it appeared everywhere.

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carnation was 5 months old..& has propigated on its own lots.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
honestly it sounds like you should go BB, or find a way to make your substrate easily removable. the reason you are able to keep the carnation/chili's is that you are feeding like crazy. the problem is eventually the tank will fill than the algae will start to take over.

the reason i have a BB is because i can feed the living daylights out of the tank. i have always wanted to keep Crinoids. they require food in a certain size range, the problem is every species is different and they do not come with an instruction manual telling which size they like. :D so you feed blender mush that contains a myriad of sizes and hope the Crinoid gets enough.

you are in the same boat. the amount of food that those corals need is problematic. sounds like you have found a formula that works. if you start cutting down on feeding i have a feeling the corals will start to decline. :( this is why it is important to figure out what you want to keep in the beginning and design the tank around these must have critters. for me the Crinoid.

i would do what you have been doing, than when the algae gets really bad, replace the sand and keep going. if you can raise the LR off of the sand that will help in keeping the algae from taking over LR as much.

G~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts