The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm learning more and more about this whole mess one piece at a time, and every time I turn around, there is more to be learned. Now I'm on to feeding for a healthy tank.

I have been feeding of course along the way, and most everything is doing good, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything that maybe I've overlooked, or maybe is blatantly obvious and my ignorance is getting the best of me.

Right now, I feed a mixture of fortified brine, two different pellets, two different flakes and garlic all mixed and frozen into sheets so I can break off a chunk. The fish like the big parts, while I've been told the smaller particles that come off cloudy make the filter feeders happy. I also put a chunk of seaweed sheet in there from time to time for good measure. Everyone in there likes those too. livestock include small clown, dottyback, six line wrasse and a diamond watchman and a host of crabs, snails and stars to take care of a 60gal with approx 85lbs of LR.

Now that I've finally licked the algea and cyano, I'm starting to get more into the corals though and that's why I'm starting to question my food. I've got zoas, xenia, kenya tree, GSP, frogspawn, an encrusting goniopora that we love, and a couple small SPS frags that I've picked up from local reefers.

What else should I be doing, what should I not be doing?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
My whole reef gets fed 3X weekly. The fish are fed thawed frozen mysid and I squirt some of that in large polypedd corals with a turkey baster. The other 4 days are Nori on a clip.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't feed much, I feed about 1/2 dime sized piece of the frozen goodies usually 3-5 times per week. and usually a small piece of seaweed once a week at most. The ones that get the most excited about the seaweed are the snails and crabs althought the fish are the primary eaters there too. But thats because they can get there so much faster I suppose.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But is what I'm doing good enough for the corals too?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I think you will be ok, the only coral you may want to feed is the frogspawn, but it may already be getting food only you have not notice it eat. Just wanch it when you feed the tank. All other coral in your tank should be ok. Maybe use small foods once in a while, baby brine, Zooplankton.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Mixed a little phyto with the blender mush, don't add seperatly any more and everything is growing and thriving.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
The more efficient your skimmer the more you can feed is what I have found. I can feed every day is I elect to and not have a problem with over feeding. The key is a powerful efficient skimmer to remove the uneaten food IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts