The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For soft corals, such as mushrooms and polyps, is it best to just put some liquid food (eg, Phytoplex) into the tank, or is it better to squirt it into or near the corals with a turkey baster or syringe?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Just feed the tank! Most polyps and mushrooms don't need food except light! Whatever does need food will get some when ya feed the tank! That's what I do!;)

·
Registered
822 Posts
I also shut down my return pump and powerheads, and then squirt some DTs phytoplankton or whatever in the "bowl" of my Sarcophyton elegans, or around my other soft corals. The phytoplankton will usually stay there as a small cloud for a while before slowly dissipating, hopefully alowing the little polyps to take it in.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are there any advantages or disadvantages to turning off the powerheads during coral feedings? I usually turn off my filters and skimmer, but let the powerheads stay on help move the food thru the currents. I've read that some people leave them on and others turn them off. I was just wondering if there are any certain instances of when you'd want to turn them off (other than hand-feeding). Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.