The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get fresh seaweed from the bay and I am wondering if I can use it to feed my fish? it is a light green color if that helps.....

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Just from my experience, I used to live by several different bayfronts - would grab grass shrimp, algae, kelp and seaweed to feed my tanks. Unfortunately I unwittingly introduced all sorts of weird creatures and parasites in my tanks.....I would recommend NOT feeding anything from the wild just because of the "?" factor - -

HHC

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
i would not use it unless you take measures to protect your tank first. the best idea would be to put it into a food dryer (in the garage to avoid the smell) and dry it out first. that would kill pretty much anything that might harm your fish and it would preserve it as well.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its less of a hassle to buy nori in the store. i just thought it would be a little healthier to get live stuff. just an idea

·
Registered
10 Posts
JMO but i lived in New Jersey for 33 years (in Kearny) and i did even like swimming in the ocean there let alone putting something from the ocean into one of my tanks . Lets put it this way , everyone says seaweed is good for you , would YOU eat it ???? nuff said !

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah i have many times ,but since i didn't know what part of Jersey you were from i was just giving my opinoin of the part i lived in . Look at it like this , most bays don't get really good circulation , the water in there stays in there for some time . All it takes is one little spill of ANYTHING (something you might not even see) you put it in your tank and all your hard work (not to mention money) is down the drain .Like i said before , its just my opinion.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Do a search for ULVA, I've used that in my tank here for my tang. It looks like bright green lettuce in a way.

I too agree w/ the ?? what if factor, but I did it anyway w/ no ill effect. In fact you should see how many amphipods are in some of the other algae I pull off of the docks....Of course, there's always the question of what else is living in there too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts