The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question about the frags from the Sunday meeting:
should I start feeding them and if yes, what would you all recommend?

I still have stuff floating around every time a blast my rock with the turkey baster, but am not sure if this is usable for mushrooms and corals...

And how can I determine if a little zoo colony is alive?
I have one that hasn't opened at all since I put it in Sunday night.
Everything else seems to do well, as far as I can tell.

Susanne

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hi Susanne-

Most corals will get enough out of the water column from the turkey basting and, if you have any, fish feedings. Corals like shrooms, zoos, xenia are more or less micro-scavengers - meaning you don't really direct feed them. Zoos will take some food from time to time but I never direct feed mine and they are all going crazy. When I have tried to feed them (turkey baster) they close up - not sure if they are annoyed or eating, but they have done great without feeding. Is your xenia up and pumping yet? I had the hardest time to get xenia to grow - some people can't grow it and some can't get rid of it! :funny:

***I was cruising Ebay the other day and saw a guy in Eugene was selling 8" halimeda single plants for like $5.00 each. I guess that means I gave away about $17,945.00 worth of halimeda at the meeting - I'll just collect next meeting!!;) See ya!

-Big Dave

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL about the Halimeda!
Is anyone actually buying it, though?

Thanks for the feeding info.

The xenia looks happier with good flow and is open during the day.
Not much pumping, though.

At night it shrinks quite a bit and closes up. Is this normal?

I heard xenia growns better with lots of Nitrates, so maybe your water is too clean ;)

I'll see how it does in my tank. Any idea how I can get it to attach to a rock? Spear it on with a toothpick?
It sounds so cruel!

And what can I do about one little cluster of zoos that doesn't open up at all? Are they still alive?

Everything else has been open from day one, with a couple of polyps opening just minutes after acclimating them and putting them into my tank, except that one colony.

Susanne

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Susanne

Sounds like you got your start on reefing. :beer:
On the zoos, sometimes it takes a little while for them to open up. Sometimes up to a week. Just as long as you see the little bumps on the rock, there are ok, just when they start to melt or disappear is when you start to :confused: :eek:

You have to remember most animals that come from another "tank" have to get used to their new surroundings.

Those yellow polyps - are they opening up? They will catch food if it's near by - actually if right on tp of them. :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wanareef said:
Susanne
On the zoos, sometimes it takes a little while for them to open up. Sometimes up to a week. Just as long as you see the little bumps on the rock, there are ok, just when they start to melt or disappear is when you start to :confused: :eek:
The bumps are still there, so there's hope yet :)

Those yellow polyps - are they opening up?
Oh, yeah! They opened practically seconds after I put them into my tank! :D

Susanne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.