The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new addition (Raccoon Butterfly) is not eating and keeps nipping at the snails in my tank? I had read they love clams, but the LFS did not say they would eat snails? Do you have any tips on feeding them and history with them/snails? I have about 7 Mexican Turbo snails that we love to watch, but I am afraid the Raccoon will kill them off. I have a peaceful tank and the Raccoon is not bothering anyone else. This is day three in the tank and I have not seen him eat yet. He is nipping at snails and the coral (FOWLR).

Thank you, Mike

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've seen butterflies sometimes go after snails, raccoons will almost always go after coral. If you're having trouble feeding then I recommend soaking your food in garlic. If that doesn't work and if you really really love the Raccoon then you can buy some zoanthids every week. He'll be happy lol. Just kidding I would recommend returning him if he is too much of a pain.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this normal with this species or do I have a more aggressive fish? Do you think once he starts eating, he will leave the snails alone? It is really stressing my wife out and I will have to strip the tank down to catch him ;-(

Thank you, Mike

·
Registered
189 Posts
Most Raccoons, well actually almost all butterflies will eat your corals. He'll probably leave the snails if he starts eating. I would say if nothing happens in a week or two, I would take him back. You don't have to break the tank down if you get a fish trap. It doesn't harm the fish just catches it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have read that if you take some clam or scallop and put it on the bottom of the tank in a half of clam shell or even better a whole one, it will trigger a natrual feeding response.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have read that if you take some clam or scallop and put it on the bottom of the tank in a half of clam shell or even better a whole one, it will trigger a natural feeding response.

What Limpet suggested is what i do or i go to the grocery store and ask the person behind the counter to give me a couple of the oysters/clams that are open since they are dead and cant be eaten by people. Haven't been told no yet though it helps if u buy something so the person behind the counter doesn't get in trouble.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Guys, thank you for the info! I purchased mysis shrimp today and he started eating......but he is still terrorizing the snails. My snails are shutting down and he may have killed a couple...still waiting to see if they move anymore. I really like the turbo snails in the aquarium and he is picking on all of them. The raccoon has also triggered my coral beauty to become more aggressive as well. She was real peaceful until the new addition, now she is picking on the purple firefish. I thought I was building a peaceful tank? LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts