The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was impulsive and picked up a candy cane frag while at the LFS. It is the first coral I have ever owned that is not completely photosynthetic. It is a small 2 headed frag. Instead of doing my research, I trusted the salesman (and I know better). I have it in a 29g under standard flourescents (one actinic, one white). I am currently saving up to get T5's in a month or so. When I got home and found it's true lighting requirements, I placed it high in the tank. It has been opening very wide every day, and seems to have adjusted well to the minimal lighting. My question is on how to feed. I have tried target feeding the heads with an eye dropper, but I don't think I'm doing it right, as it doesn't seem to feed. I've tried at night when the tentacles come out. I've tried during the daytime. It seems happy, but not interested in eating. Can you please give me some detailed advice on properly feeding it? I'm a complete noob when it comes to LPS.

Thanks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have 3 sets under compact flourescent. 2 are med high up and one closer to the bottom. I don't target feed and they have done great, each splitting. I even cut one in half by accident while scraping my glass and it healed itself in no time. Good luck

·
Registered
679 Posts
They will live in pretty low light but the T5's will give you good growth. As far as feeding they take anything meaty smaller than a pencil eraser. I rarely feed mine though they really gobble up what I give them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had 3 varieties, and all had different requirements, hardiness maybe.
The neon-green will live under 18W PC (white-actinic combo), lowest I tried - at 8" deep. If you feed the tank - no need to feed it, unless it shows tentacles and will be ready to eat (IMHE, of course).

Tan with cold green hint, when closed, not bi-color, required more light and more peaceful environment, but grows faster.

And thick-branched bi-color - tan-brown perimeter and green insides - liked light too and was slow grower.

All were fed only when they wanted, most of the time - not fed. But tank received dried cyclop eeze and fish food 3 times daily.
My 2 cents.

If you have neon-green one - my congratulations, best buy:it's hardy and very colorful.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like to see pics of yours. I got one and not sure which one, curious if its your #3. I looked at a bright yellow 2 branch(headed) one at a LFS and like to get it later if Its still there it was very pretty.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Neon-green:

Tan with cold green shade, when contracted:

and bi-color is the top one:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine is a very light bluish green color.

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
Mine is a very light bluish green color.

yours is like the 'tan' one pictured. It's just a simple candy cane.

I used to feed them at night a few hours after the lights went off. I only did this maybe once a month.

Try feeding mysis shrimp. They like that a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts