The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bears Fan
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for anyone using a controller with feed cycle on it.

When I select feed cycle on my ACIII, it turns off my three powerheads and my return pump. When this occurs, my main tank drains down a little to my sump raising the water in the sump and causing the skimmer (ASM G3) to almost overflow because the water level in the sump goes up.

Should I leave my return pump on when I feed so this doesn't happen?

What do others do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
My skimmer is located outside the sump so the only thing I could tell you is program the aquacontroller to turn off the skimmer when you feed. Or you can just let the return pump stay on. I turn my return pump off for about 10 minutes to let all the food get washed around the tank when the tunzes come back on. Then turn the pump on and let it go. I really don't think it matters if you turn the return off or leave it on, it is really a matter of preference IMO.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Your other option is to DIY an inverted return. Basically a piece of PVC that water enters the bottom flows up through the tube and then overflows back into your sump at a higher than your water level ever gets to. This will give you a constant water height, but you can get more bubbles/splash/salt creep of course.

·
Bears Fan
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to go with stopping the skimmer during the feed cycle.

I was thinking that would create an issue witht eh skimming, but I am guessing I was over analyzing things, AGAIN. :)

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Only thing I have on the feed cycle is the skimmer and feed pump to the skimmer. I leave all powerheads and return pump on. I don't really use the feed button during feeding of the fish, just let eveything run normal because the fish eat everything up so quickly doesn't really matter. However, the couple times a week I feed the corals I do shutdown the skimmer for an hour. Also use the feed buttom to shutdown the skimmer when taking off the collection cup for cleaning.

·
Bears Fan
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I leave the return pump on, I am worried that anything that floats will get sucked down into the sump.

I will have to try different ways and see how it all goes.

Thanks

David Grigor said:
Only thing I have on the feed cycle is the skimmer and feed pump to the skimmer. I leave all powerheads and return pump on. I don't really use the feed button during feeding of the fish, just let eveything run normal because the fish eat everything up so quickly doesn't really matter. However, the couple times a week I feed the corals I do shutdown the skimmer for an hour. Also use the feed buttom to shutdown the skimmer when taking off the collection cup for cleaning.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Once your fish become real aggressive at feeding time, doubtful much if any make it to the overflows. when feeding corals, I don't really have any mechanical filters or filter socks on the plumbing so I don't really care if the coral food gets recirculated through the sump or not.

Best to just run the pump 24/7 except during power outages for less wear and tear on the pump.

·
Bears Fan
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know that makes sense. I do worry that stopping the return pump is really hard on it. You just confirmed that.

Thanks

David Grigor said:
Once your fish become real aggressive at feeding time, doubtful much if any make it to the overflows. when feeding corals, I don't really have any mechanical filters or filter socks on the plumbing so I don't really care if the coral food gets recirculated through the sump or not.

Best to just run the pump 24/7 except during power outages for less wear and tear on the pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts