The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put out a post to all who were due cards, I've mailed them all. Some had requested replacement cards for lost ones - I haven't made any replacements yet, but did we ever decide what the charge was for a replacement? IMO they shouldn't be free because one could easily give out their card to somebody else for discounts, etc., but at the same time, the charge shouldn't be that much.

Decision?

Jenn

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Jenn, what do you think is fair to cover the costs to reproduce and mail a card?

Without knowing the above answer just yet, I think $3-5 total should more than cover the costs to reproduce and mail and be enough of a deterrent.

Bob

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Playing Devils advocate....

If someone gives their card to someone else for discount, is it not the stores responsibility to check the name on the discount card versus the name on the credit card, if you don't know them personally?

I think they should be free....for the first lost one and $5 for each additional...just my .02 Maybe do that this year....then in subsequent years print on the card....$5 fee for lost card replacement. No one addressed this issue before....so it is a catch 22.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Assuming somebody pays with a credit card...

I can only speak for myself, I keep a customer database so if Mike shows up with Jim's card I'll know it... but then I know who I've issued cards to, so I don't even ask to see them. I'm hardly "typical" of sponsor stores, since I'm probably more involved at the club level than the rest.

Your point is taken on the identification issue, but the cost of supplies to make the cards, and (possibly) mail them is not free. The cost is minimal, yes, however as an incentive to not lose a card, I think a small fee should be appropriate - or I can see people not bothering to even look for their card, because they know they can get a free replacement.

Bob, I think you've got the right idea.. $3-5 seems fair - an extra card on a family membership is $5, so a replacement in the $3-5 range seems in line.

Again - your decision - you decide, I'll abide.

Jenn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts