The Reef Tank banner
2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Jen's&Gil'sgoneReef 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have two feather duster that haven't opened yet how long dose it take for them to acclimate ?

#4 ·
Feather dusters are filter feeders they don't really care about light...I've had them under rocks before and they did fine...As for opening, most I've gotten open up pretty quick. How long and how did you acclimate them to the tank? Also, how much flow do they have...too much flow might tick them off. The only other thought is nitrates...they can be a little finicky about water quality.

#10 ·
Hard tube is probably a Coco Worm...the soft is probably the standard variety of feather duster.

Light won't make much difference, you are correct they are filter feeders and completely non-photosynthetic.

Acclimation may have something to do with it...they can be pretty sensitive to changes in water chemisty...a drip acclimation would probably be a better choice in the future.

Flow...they like/need some flow to bring them food to filter feed, but not so strong that it pushes them around a lot, more of a gentle but constant flow...if the tube is moving from the flow with the feather duster closed up the flow that may be too strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.