The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. Really wierd, we are sitting watching tv and my RSM250 has just the moonlights on and from the side of the tank I see some smoke type stuff pulsating into the water. It appears that my featherduster is puffing smoke. Is this the "chemical warfare" that I keep hearing about? I didn't think they did it. There was a slug on my zooanthe (? - little purple polyps rock) that looked as though he was letting it out too but that could have been my imagination. But we both looked right at the featherduster and it's doing it non stop. The only think remotely near it is my LTA. Could they be affecting each other or one affecting the other. The LTA seems to be doing good but the smoke is freaking me out. Thanks

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
nope, more likely the featherduster is spawning. Those are actually a type of worm and wouldnt be participating in the chemical warfare often found in our tanks. some inverts spawn when stressed, so you may look at your temperature range and other water parameters.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i disagree with the spawning unless you are ABSOLUTELY SURE that it is coming from your feather duster. The "slug" thing that you were refering to is called Stomatella(i think i spelled it right). they are a snail like creature that is often a hitchhicker in aquariums. Don't be worried though as they are good for the aquarium and do no harm to the tank. I also had these critters in my tank before i knew what they were and i thought it was the wierdest thing.
Anyways, back to your question, Stomatella will frequently release this smoke looking substance into the water. I am not quite sure what it is since i haven't researched the subject a lot. I do believe, however, that what it releases is sperm. thats just what it looks like to me. They also reproduce very rapidly so don't be surprised that since you have seen one, you will be seeing a lot more! haha
If you do want to get rid of them(i don't know why you would), you can go get some peppermint shrimp and they will eat those like candy cuz i got some shrimp and the next day, there were Stomatella shells all over! I din't mean to have the shrimp eat them though....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info

I swear it's wierd because we looked and one of those slug things was on my purple polyp zoonthas? and we saw the smoke but maybe that was my imagination. BUT when we both looked at the feather duster, it was definately smoking! I've seen on different forums where they say it's ok and then others say that it's not happy. My parameters are pretty good. I mean my temp swings from am to pm maybe 2 degrees gradually but salinity is good, ph is good, nitrate, nitrite are good......I guess I'll just see what happens.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts