The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last month or so I've noticed my tank is getting feather dusters everywhere! There are so many now I can't count them all. Possibly 100 or more. My tank is only about 6 mos old (possibly more). I love the way the feather dusters look but wonder can you have too many? Am I worrying about nothing? Can I sell them to the fish store <grin>?

Hugs, Ell

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Ell,
The little featherdusters with the hard white calcerous tubes are worms of the family Serpulidae. They are quite harmless filter feeders and are indicative of good water conditions. I kinda like them.
The only negative I can think of is that the tubes are sharp and can scratch or stick your fingers while handling LR.(Another reason for reef gloves).
I wouldn't worry about them at all but if you do add an Emerald Crab, it may reduce them for you!
I haven't actually seen them eat them but I have hundreds of the little Serpulids in my 55 and it seems that many of them have lost their crowns since the Emerald crabs went in. Maybe coincidence but they are prime suspects!

HTH
Dick

·
Registered
104 Posts
Life reproducing in your tank -- cool.
I too have many of these tubeworm/dusters, however, I introduced 2 peppermint shrimp to rid my tank of aiptasia and after the aiptasia was gone the population of tubeworms has declined. But, on a bright note when I cleaned up my sump over the weekend I noticed 100's growing on everything in the sump.

P.S. if you aren't already you may want to start feeding these critters with some DT's or some other type of planktonic foods - they are filter feeders.

Enjoy your tank, Phill

[This message has been edited by Phill (edited 10-05-2000).]

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
I have so many little tube worms in my 55, especially behind the rockwork, that my kids have named it "Tube Worm City"

I have peppermint shrimp in my 55 for aiptasia control; they do a pretty good job, too, in spite of the fact that there is plenty of other food in the tank. An aip will raise it's ugly head every once-in-a-while but the pepps usually have it gone in a few days.

We use the term "reef safe" so much, when in point of fact, there isn't much that is truly "reef safe". As Martin Moe put it "everybody eats everybody else on the reef". So you put in some pepps and they eat most of your aips but maybe miss one or two and maybe they'll eat some tube worms or a few polyps here and there, but hey, it's what they do. Still seems like a pretty good trade off to me, not to mention the fact that the pepps are a constant supply of food for the tank by spawning often. I've certainly never had any trouble with mine.

Maybe we need to change the term to "reef friendly"

~Alice

------------------
Reefkeeping is my life; I can't afford a hobby too!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the feather dusters aren't a problem, cool! I rather like them
One of you mentioned feeding the feather dusters. I have a giant green bottle of phytoplankton that I feed my tank 2-3 times a week. Is this what the feather dusters eat or do I need to buy something different?

Hugs, Ell

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why yes that bottle of green photoplankton will aid in their diet and is also benificial to most of the critters in your sand and rock.

Keep up the good work, Phill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts