The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 4 days ago, my feather duster dropped his crown. Then today I noticed he was hanging out of his tube, and it looked like the tip of him had been chewed off. The cleaner shrimp are starting to circle, one of them was picking at the open part of him and the feather duster worm pulled back in but them drooped back out. I looks like something has had part of him/her for lunch. All of the levels in my tank are within specs.
I have
Cleaner shrimp
Anemone, Long Tentacle ( and that has moved to the back corner of the tank between the rock and the wall. I t seems if there is any flow then he moved.)
Clown fish
Yellow tang
cardinal
Turbo snails
hermit craps.

The Feather Duster was up on a rock.

Just strange events happening in the past couple of days.

Looking for some suggestions.
Thanks.
chad

·
Administrator
47,018 Posts
IME if Feather dusters shed their feathers something is going on they are not happy with. You say params are normal, what are they an what size tank are we talking about?

·
Administrator
47,018 Posts
Other than having the shrimp in there have you added anything, cleaners dont normally go after feather duster but then again Coral banded hrip can get snipy, so if a cleaner is not eating enough i know they will munch on prized stuff :(

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I am not sure what to do. He has been hanging out of his tube all day, he would go in and then come out. It looks like his head or the tip of him has been munched away. I bristle worm was pulling on him and then he pulled back into the tube. Now the cleaner shrimp are pulling on him as he hangs out of his tube, but he still pulls back in slowly.

I am not sure what I should do, just pull him out of the tank?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing that I have added are some corals. I had YELLOW POLYPS about 5 inches above his tube, he was anchored into the rock.

·
CntntEdtr for Aquarist.Me
2,407 Posts
Nitrates could be an issue, also feather dusters dislike a lot of flow. And another also, a friend of mine had a clownfish that constantly picked at his feather duster, it would loose its crown and regrow it, but due to the constant molting it eventually starved.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
My cleaner shrimp was certainly interested in my feather duster when it lost its crown. I never saw him attack it, but he was always picking at the tube and hovering over there. The worm disappeared a week later but I really don't know what happened.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts