The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I couldn't find much on it in the search . What are your favorite reef fishes? After the power outage, I am going to eventually need to restock and I am looking for new ideas on fish to keep. Right now I'm looking at adding a 4-line wrasse and copperband butterfly, along with a orchid dottyback. Basically I am in the planning stage now, so I would like to hear other people's favorite reef fishes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Is your tank going to be reef or fish only?????

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a reef and I have a mated pair of clowns
Large yellow tank, and spotted puffer-they seem to do well in a reef, some people say no to the spotted puffer, but I've had several over the years and they same calm and playful with all the fish and the reef itself...

My favorite fish and we can't have it, is the Picasso Trigger, to me it's the most detailed and beautiful fish out there...

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I think the Wrasse family has some of the most beautiful fish for their size in the marine world! Have to be careful as some are not reef safe while others are! Also most come with a nice price tag attached to them!!:eek:

·
Registered
658 Posts
I vote for a purple firefish... they have much more personality than a regular firefish and are very nice to look at.
It's the one fish that I get the most comments on from visitors admiring the tank, and was the first fish I added.
They're non-aggressive and 'hover' in the water column.. great fish. :beer:

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a Sargassum Triggerfish as my centerpiece. He is reef safe according to everything I have read. I have had him for a couple of years. Very cool fish.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have 2 nominees...

Single fish...

1. Hippo Tang - Tons of personality and plays well with others. Beautiful fish too!

And for schooling fish...

2. Bar Gobies - I wanted a chromie alternative and found a LFS that had 4 and they stayed together. Liked them so much, went back the next week and got 4 more. The school of 8 looks awesome swimming together. There is zero fighting between them and they stick together. They even flash their colorful fins!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just about any Anthias. Terminally active. Don't give a hoot about other fish. Reef safe.

One of the larger tangs; hippo, naso, yellow, purple. Just darn beautiful fish.

Lawn Mower Blenny. Great personality. Love the lip marks on the glass.

Clown Gobie. Never saw a fish "stick" itself to the glass. Strange little things. Like to perch in the branching corals. Nice "tiny" addition.

If you have a sand bed gotta have one sleeper gobie; golden head, diamond, six spot, banded bullets are cool. They'll do the sand bed maintenance for you and provide some variety in your landscape on a daily basis.

My tank is full.

·
Registered
852 Posts
With a 180 I would definitely go for a couple of types of schooling fish like Anthias (love that hot pink color) and Chromis. There are also some amazing flasher wrasses that do well in groups of 1 male and 3-4 females. I had a hippo tang for 3 years before I tore down that tank and gave him away- great blue color.

Big Dave, do you have a pic of the bar gobies? they sound interesting.

·
Registered
384 Posts
rogerthmyers said:
I have a reef and I have a mated pair of clowns
Large yellow tank, and spotted puffer-they seem to do well in a reef, some people say no to the spotted puffer, but I've had several over the years and they same calm and playful with all the fish and the reef itself...

My favorite fish and we can't have it, is the Picasso Trigger, to me it's the most detailed and beautiful fish out there...
roger, are these puffers you speak of small green spotted puffers, usually marketed as brackish, but can be acclimated either way (fresh or full)

anyways, if so, how did you go about acclimating them up to your full marine SG?

I've had a few of them in a brackish tank and they'd be AWESOME in a reef

·
Registered
314 Posts
Actually no, it's commonly known as a spotted or valentini puffer..
sorry, what kind of fish are you talking about?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've never seen a Green Spot Puffer?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow wow wow wow........I've never seen that fish in my life.....
wow...I luv it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts