The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! My son Doug and I went fishing this morning and we had a great time!
About the third cast into the water I nailed a beautiful big mouth bass that was about 15" long and 21/2-3lbs and when my son picked the bass out of the water, I looked at him and said, "It's not a keeper is it?" You can keep three bass 12" and under. Tough throwing it back but what a fight it put up!!:eek:

Forgot how powerful bass really are! Anyways I caught some really small perch and sun fish which I threw back and did end up keeping one bass and my son caught another large bass that just made the limit of 12" but I was not really sure!!;) Funny he can keep his but mine had to go back!:)

Now is it when you have no camera with you or the fish are to small that the "big one" got away stories come out!!;) I do kick myself in the butt for not bringing the digital camera but promise to have pics from next fishing trip! Probably won't catch anything then!:)

Watched a turtle come up and start eating some fish remains and watched a large osprey come now and hit the water hard and away it went with a nice fish!

So we had a great time and have enough bass filets for supper tonight on the BBQ grill! Best part was spending time with my son as this meant more to him than any big fish we could have caught!!:beer:

·
Super Moderator
22,408 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time Johnny!:beer:

·
Super Moderator
27,687 Posts
Bravo on the father/son time today, Johnny! Good for both of you.

Umm...now do you really think that I was questioning claim of 15" bass with no picture to prove it? Nawwwww ;)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
cath dont ya know, guys always add at least 6" to fish measurments :)

btw: johnny, good for you and your son. those times are what life is all about.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I remember fising with my Dad too. Was great fun.

I hope you and your son have as good a relationship as me and My Dad do. He is truely my hero. I wnt to be like him if I ever grow up. He has a great retirement now and loving life. He is coming out here in July to spend some time. I am really really looking forward to seeing him as I havent seen him since My Mom passed away.

Johnny I hope you son thinks of you as hghly as i do of my Dad. I hope my kids see me like i see my Dad

I say Dad because anyone can be a father it takes someone special to be a Dad.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i remember fishing with my abusive step dad, and getting the crap beat out of me for talking and scaring away the fish, when i was 12.

i've never been fishing since.

thankfully your son can enjoy the experience johnny.

jeff make sure you and your dad go on a fishing trip in july!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Sounds like a great time Johnny! I am actually going fishing with my dad this weekend! I have not been fishing in several years, and I am really looking forward to spending some time alone with him on the water! It is really nice to enjoy the peace and quiet, and the wonderful sound of the occasional fart on the bench of an aluminum fishing boat on the water.;)

Andrew

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
and the wonderful sound of the occasional fart on the bench
well i suppose that's better than using cyanide to catch the fish :funny:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
thefatman said:
well i suppose that's better than using cyanide to catch the fish :funny:
Yep. It is closer to using dynamite! ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ahhh....I remember fishing with Pop....Deep sea, on the boat, not puking (that time). One of the deckhands comes along taking cash.

"Aintcha gonna put me in the pool Pop?!?!?" I ask.

"Not this time boy."

Guess who caught the biggest fish on the boat...(and never left out of a pool again)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts