The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
it's a little late to ask this question, since i already bought them, but, does anyone have any thing good, bad, or indifferent to say about FasTest Test Kits by Aquarium Systems?

for as long as i can remember i have used Aquarium Pharmeceuticals (doc wellfish) for my test kits on both fresh and saltwater.

last week when the tank was completed i pickup some of the fastest kits. i basically got tired of spilled test tubes!! :mad:

i like the test containers with the fastest. they are sqaure with a wide base, so they dont tip over, and are easy to fil to the correct height with a syringe. they seem pretty well calibrated and acurate when compared to my lfs courtesy tests, as well as my doc wellfish tests.

i know a lot say salifert is best, but honestly, i didnt care for their test jars.

anyone have any opinons on these?

btw: my readings have been as follows:

friday: ammonia-.2 / nitrite-0 / nitrate 20 / ph-8.3 / copper-0 / salinity-1.0225

sunday: ammonia-.0 / nitrite-.2 / nitrate 10 / ph-8.3 / copper-0 / salinity-1.0225

tuesday: ammonia-0 / nitrite-0 / nitrate 10 / ph-8.3 / copper-0 / salinity-1.0225

i'm going to keep montioring every other day.. but oh man what a fast cycle !! course, it was 30 gallons of current water from the old tank, about 15-20 pounds of saved live sand from the old tank, 115 pounds of live rock that had been in the lfs show tanks for a long time, and i kept 30 pounds of my old live rock.

also, any other test that would be a good idea to pick up? not unimportant things. but IMPORTANT tests, like calcium and alkalinity?

right now i have:
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
ph
copper
salinity

i'm assuming i'll need calcium, alkalinity, any others that are actually usefull, like trace element tests, or dissolved o2 etc...

·
Registered
807 Posts
I guess they're ok. I would get the Seachem Reef Status CA kit when you get a CA kit. just my .02

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i have not used them in years. they seemed reasonable for monitoring. they did not have the resolution of the more expensive test kits, but they do get you in the ballpark to know what is going on. for the tests you are running i do not see a problem using them. if they came out with a Ca test kit like that, i would prolly say no to that.;)

G~

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:) yeah i dont even think they make one!

part of my thought was that they manufacture instant ocean, so perhaps the kits would work well with asw made from IO. :rolleyes:

when i get the rest of the more advanced kits, i'm going with something more widely used and more preceise.. but not salifert. dont like thier jars...

what would be another good brand for calcium, alkalinity, dissolved oxygen, and whatever else i might need to run

·
Registered
807 Posts
If you can afford them (I can't) Hach is supposed to make excellent test kits. I still like my Seachem CA kit

·
Administrator
47,621 Posts
I have used the Fast test kits to cover the basics, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and I have the PO 4 test kit. I remember someone saying that they were made by Hach, tho I can't confirm that.
as far as pH I think a meter is a better investment, as is a refractometer. You have moved up into a 75, consider it part of the upgrade cost.
Slifert Ca and Alk kits take some getting used to , esp compared to dip tab tests but its worth the effort IME.
When i got into reefs about 5 yrs ago, I used Seachem additives, and at that time the Seachem Ca test kit was skewed to reflect the "chelated" calcium formulation. the results were definatly off from testing woth a Salifert kit.
As far as the dissolved O2, with your sump and CLS that should,t be a problem. The other kits ie Iodine, stronium, etc I wouldn't bother with, there are no definative desired limites, and with the Iodine you have three forms that it goes thru and not all are readable.
The basic Nitrogen forms kits are good, and the Phosphate is a good one, but the rest I would just do a regular water change, depending on the tanks bioload :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hi Jay. Calcium and alk would be good to add to your collection -otherwise I wouldn't bother with anything else unless you need to confirm a suspicion. I like the Seachem kits because they include a reference sample to test the kit against, and the price is reasonable (both pH and alk are in one kit). I use the Red Sea calcium test kit which I find good enough for my softies, and quick to do.

HTH

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info everyone. guess i wont bother with the others then :)

·
AKA Douglas Lowey
593 Posts
Jay, I can only comment on the FasTest alk. kit. I wish I could find them here in Canada.

I always used them before. I compared their results with my Salifert and LaMotte alkalinity test kits. No difference. The solution thats added to the tank water for the test, does seem to expire sooner, like a fair bit less than a year. My new test kit, showed a fair difference between it and the year old kit.

I like the Salifert alk kit, but would like the cheaper one, esp if it reads the same, for jobs like setting up a reactor and the such.

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Jay,

I've always used the FastTest kits for pH; Alk; Nitrite; Nitrate; Phosphate; and Ammonia. I use Salifert for Ca, based on recommendations from members here. Obviously, NH4, NO3, and N03-N are most useful when breaking in a new tank or if "The Force" tells you that something isn't quite right. ;)

I like the ease of use of the FastTest kits; anything more complicated or time consuming might cause me to put off testing. They are also readily available and relatively inexpensive.

Generally, hobby-grade test kits may not have the accuracy of the $$ brands or lab grade stuff but, if used consistently at the same time each day, they are more than adequate to spot trends or identify a problem.

Dick:)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Doug1 said:
...I think a meter is a better investment, as is a refractometer. You have moved up into a 75, consider it part of the upgrade cost.
I have tried that excuse on my wife with every single tank upgrade. I have not had success yet. Any tips?:confused: :rolleyes:

Andrew

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks doug and dick... i have the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph right now. i'll pick up the alk tommorrow and hold out for a salifert or seachem ca kit.

i like thier ease of use too. i really like the doc wellfish ones i've used for 8 years. but, i got tired of knocking over test tubes!! and i've heard they aren't THAT accurate :rolleyes:

andrew.. tell danielle doug said you had to get one :)

·
Administrator
47,621 Posts
asmith said:
I have tried that excuse on my wife with every single tank upgrade. I have not had success yet. Any tips?:confused: :rolleyes:

Andrew
Ask her if she would rather use a $10 stethascope than a top of the line Littman Cardiology model ;)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
She got a Littman for Christmas from her father. Maybe her father will buy me a nice refractometer for Christmas. ;)

Andrew

·
Administrator
47,621 Posts
Well since hers was a gift and she didn't have to buy it, you should say "But honey, I spent the money I saved to surprise you with that nice Littman you need, you wouldn't want the fishes lives to depend on a cheap test kit ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts