The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have computer fans to hook up to the canopy I got yesterday, but I am retarded when it comes to figuring out what I need to get them running. The only thing I have thought of so far is a computer power supply unit? How does everyone else do it? BTW the fans are computer fans.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
the fans should have a wire coming out from them...the way i do things is i find a old extension cord or a long cord that is not in use and i cut it off of the device that it is attached to (if it is a extension cord no need to cut it off of a device since there is none, but just cut a desired length) now just strip the ends of both wires and get some electrical tape and bond them together. If the size of the wires dont match dont do it. just go and buy some same size wire and get a plug strip the ends of the wire you just bought and attach it to the plug. then strip the other end of the wire and your fans wire and attach them together with electrical tape. Hope this helps...you have got to have some do it yourself skills to do this...

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, I thought about doing that, just wanted to see if there was some way I could power them all together, to save precious outlet space. Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Woah woah! Computer fans are usually 12 volt DC (sometime 5V). Plugging a 12 volt fan into 110volts AC . . . well let's just say it won't work ;)

Go to wal-mart, radio shack, wherever and get a 12 volt DC power supply. It will be one of those big black plugs like you have on your cordless phone, or computer speakers. Your fan will probably list the amps needed, so get a power supply that matches or get a variable one.

Hope that helps!

Lars.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
While, may not be of use for immediate, but everytime I have to throw away a kids toy, cordless phone, or whatever.... If the transformer says 12v on it.....I keep it for this reason. Some toys/phones will be just 9v transformer which is of no use but don't just toss the 12v ones as they do come in handy for future use.

If you planning to run multiple fans, a 1000mah 12v will probably do the trick. with just one fan it can be even smaller.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info David I think I am going to have to look through the box of dc adapters I have in my storage room when I get home!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts