The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I need help IDing a fairy wrasse that was sold to me as a female Solorensis.I have searched for the last month that ?she has been in quarruatine,but cannot ID her or him.I strongly suspect that is indeed a him,since from what I've read the female should be less colorful than the male.I already have a male Solorensis and I purchased this fish as a mate,companion,fellow wrasse.Well,after quarruantine I introduced it.He (William)the male was very interested in ?her. I thought it was love but he has chased this poor thing relentlessly for 2 days now:confused: .1)If anyone out there is wrasse savvy,could you look at a picture on :www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/wrasses/index.htm It's the fish in the backround,the very top of the page near the links.This fish has a magenta head with the flanks being green and the bottom of the fish being blue.If anything it's more coloful than the male Solorensis! I think it's another male of a different species of fairy wrasse.It's definately a cirrhilabrus though.2) If it is another male fairy,will they work this out? There is a lot of chasing going on but no real damage yet.P.S. I have a 100g tank and about 50 pds. live rock. Thanks Gail

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Welcome to TRT Gail
Sorry I can't help with actual question :( Some one will jump in shortly I'm sure

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dobejazz, Thanks for the welcome.Hope springs eternal,I think the worst may be over.They are swimming around together today!I've been home an hour and there has been no chasing,harrassment.I had the lights off today and didn't turn them on to feed them till an hour ago.I hope to hear from someone who has fairy wrasse experience though.From what I've read they aren't especially aggressive,so we'll see.Wrasse are jumpers so I really want to keep the stress level down.I have the whole tank covered though,with no openings I'm aware of.My other fish never had a problem getting along,I even have 2 adult tomato clowns that don't bother anyone.I keep an eye on them though,cause I've heard they can be a problem.Also in the tank are a bi-color blenny and a jawfish who are best buddies!I was worried about them since they look similar.Also in this tank are 2 PJ cardinals. Thanks for listening ,Gail

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
No Problem Gail ! Sorry no one with more wrasse experence didn't see this :(
Your tank sounds really cool

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again, For all of you who were wondering,they've become friends.I guess he,she had to get used to the tank.They swim together now rubbing againt each other,very romantic.:) Maybe she is a she,though I still think she's far more attractive than the male.All's well that ends well!

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
popper said:
Hi again, For all of you who were wondering,they've become friends.I guess he,she had to get used to the tank.They swim together now rubbing againt each other,very romantic.:) Maybe she is a she,though I still think she's far more attractive than the male.All's well that ends well!

:blob: :blob: :blob:

YEAH!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi G, Thanks for the welcome.I have the tank totally covered in glass.I would like to change this as I have a good canopy,would like to screen the back and remove the glass eventually.I thought I'd wait till I'm sure the wrasse were getting along ,also have a jawfish that I've heard are fond of carpet surfing as well.Coming from a freshwater mentality,I just feel safer with the glass for now.I don't think anyone can jump out with the way it is,although the jawfish in particular makes me nervous.I can see him actually go up to the top and look for an escape route.Any ideas how to get gas exchange and make it totally jump proof would be welcome.As for now keeping them in the tank takes priority over gas exchange.Thanks for asking,as I've read many people first discover jumping penchant of some fish by finding them on the carpet! Thanks Gail

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
have you looked into the eggcrate covering? it is sold in the lighting sections of most large home destruction stores. they are a bunch of 1/2" squares. if the fish are wider than this than this would be perfect. it allows a good amount of light through and plenty of air.

G~

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I have the same fish. I was sold 2 of them at the same time and was told that one would change sexs. They got along fine for a few mothns then they started fighting. I moved all my LR around and left my lights off for 2 days(as the sales man told me to do). It did help some but they still fight. I was asking another saleesman yesterday about it and he said I should have bought 3. He said always buy in odd numbers. Right now mine only fight when they think I'm going to feed them.
good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts