The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This is my first post and is in response to a disasterous week.
On Sunday the surge protector went out. This wasn't so bad, I just rerouted the power to the pumps to the other surge protector. But during the week, off course I was 1000 miles away, the overflow siphon went out, because the siphon pump on a CPR failed. It was too difficult to explain to the person taking care of the system the mechanical changes necessary to restart the system.

I just got home and found that all of the fish and the crabs that I didn't know were there are all dead.:cry: :cry: :cry: My corals survived and for this I am very happy.

The setup is not perfect and I have had siphon problems in the past but not coupled with a pump failure.:mad:

I am and have been thinking about upgrading from my small tank to go with something larger and less prone to siphon failure. Dimensions 5' wide x 1.5' to 2' deep x 1.5' to 2' tall. I do not want to diy it. I also want glass. And I can build my own stand.

I do not want this continuing siphon problem.

I sized all of the components that I have, except for lighting, to be able to run a 125g tank. My question---can any of you provide links or other info on who makes a reputable tank and what I should specifically look for? I know that I want a reef ready tank and I think that it should only need one overflow.

Sorry for the long post.

Thank you in advance for any assistance that you can provide.
Paul

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Sorry about your loss and welcome to the reef tank.

Oceanic makes a nice tank, and they have reef ready also.

·
Registered
163 Posts
have tou considered going acrylic? i just got a 180 from tydpoolmarine, prety cheap imo. then you could make it any size you want

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, for the quick responses. I read about a place near Milwaukee that also manufactures tanks but cannot find where I found the link. Do you know the place I an refering too?

Yes, but I really would prefer glass.

·
11,345 Posts
Pauli said:
Thanks, for the quick responses. I read about a place near Milwaukee that also manufactures tanks but cannot find where I found the link. Do you know the place I an refering too?

Yes, but I really would prefer glass.
For what its worth....i felt very much the same as you not so long ago. All i was interested in was glass. Now that i have gotten more into this i wish i wouldnt have bought so many glass tanks. LOL
Ive got 4 of them for sale at the moment and am in the middle of two new tank builds.

These new tanks are acrylic. One of these tanks is going to have 14 holes drilled in it and the other is going to have 8 holes drilled in it. The ONLY benefit of glass is that it doesnt scratch as easy. But when it does it cant be fixed.

MORE HOLES BETTER!!!!! Just my $.02

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,717 Posts
I am with you on the glass thing, I hate acrilic tanks, I look at them wrong and they scratch, plus you have the crazing thing, and you have to deal with more top bracing blocking your light, and getting salt creep on it.

If I were you I would have 2 overflows built into your new tank, each one capable of taking the full flow of your return pump, that way if a snail blocks one drain you don't have the tank overflowing. It happens, trust me.

Welcome to TRT,
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
All-Glass and Oceanic are now made by the same comopny, excellent products in both lines. You may wnt to consider a Starfire product (no color to the glass itself), but these add huge increase in cost with little real benefit to viewing.

Another consideration that Will cost you less: think of hAving the tank drilled for bulkhead and overflow installtions. In the Detroit metro area there are many people able to perform this alteration fr you, and you will be able to select just how much flow will exist in your tank.

How big is the tank you have now? If it is not as big as you'd prefer, you might consider scanning the papers or the want ads here for yur region (and check RC as well) for a used system to get one that meets your criteria. You might even consider buying a 135 G system (72"x24"x18") that is not RR and have it drilled for less than buying a new one would be, then put your savings into lighting and pumps.

HTH, Oceanic, AGA are both top line systems, and you will be happier with glass systems in the long run, they do not scratch nearly as easiy as acrylic...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought that I would post a pic so that you can see what I have currently.

My LFS is big on acrylic tanks and build their own. But I might entertain the thought of acrylic again, especially on weight, but ease of cleaning and clarity is very important to me, also.

I know it is cold but it has been off for awhile.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
That would make a nice sump for a 135... :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dual overflows is probably the way to go to prevent problems.

Sorry for the newbie question, but I just cannot figure out the acronyms:

HTH=?
RC=? Regional classifieds? Reef Club?

I read that the glass should be tempered in tanks of this size and cannot be drilled. Is this an accurate statement?

This tank is 37 gal and I have another 30 gal. tank that I was going to use as the sump because it is not quite as tall. That would make access to it easier.

Another question on looking at the AGA and Oceanic sites: they only state flows of 1200 gph, 2-600 gph overflows. My pump is rated for 1200gph, I'm sure that is with no head. In any case, even considering pump losses each overflow would not be rated for complete pump flow. How would I get by this issue?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just for information, critique and ideas, my current components are:

Pump: Panworld NH-150PS 1100gph (my mistake earlier)
Skimmer: Aqua C EV180 with PanWorld NH-40PX
300W Titanium Heater
Arctica DBE-200 Chiller
2- 7100K compact Fluorescents
175W MH @ 10000K

I will need to figure out how to control the heater and chiller so that they will not fight each other.
I will have to either get longer fluorescents or another set of them.
I will probably have to eeither get another 175W MH or get a 400W MH
Some more live rock, I have about 70 lbs right know.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Pauli said:
Dual overflows is probably the way to go to prevent problems.

Sorry for the newbie question, but I just cannot figure out the acronyms:

HTH=?
RC=? Regional classifieds? Reef Club?

I read that the glass should be tempered in tanks of this size and cannot be drilled. Is this an accurate statement?

This tank is 37 gal and I have another 30 gal. tank that I was going to use as the sump because it is not quite as tall. That would make access to it easier.

Another question on looking at the AGA and Oceanic sites: they only state flows of 1200 gph, 2-600 gph overflows. My pump is rated for 1200gph, I'm sure that is with no head. In any case, even considering pump losses each overflow would not be rated for complete pump flow. How would I get by this issue?
HTH= Hope that helps
RC = Without going back and reading the context of how it was used. I would assume that RC is ReefCentral.com. Lots of information there but, its not the friendliest of message boards. Basically is just too **** big.

Tempered glass tanks explode when you try to drill them. Its similar to a car windshield.

One way of getting around the pump working faster than your overflow is to put a "t" in the return line. One end of the "t" goes to the tank the other drains back to the sump. A valve is used to control how much water drains back into the sump.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Pauli said:
Sorry for the newbie question, but I just cannot figure out the acronyms...
You never have to apologize for asking a question on TRT. This is especially true if you don't know what something means or understand a concept being presented: that is the difference between here and a few other sites like RC. When presented before, it was ment to be Reef Central, they do have good used equipment section.

Pauli said:
Tempered glass is often used in the bottoms of smaller to moderate sized tanks to reduce the thickness and weight of the glass, and is not a requirement for the construction of a strong aquarium. More often thn not even if the bottom is tempered, the sides are not, and are easily drilled for overflows and returns. If you have a particular aquarium in mind, you can contact the manufacturer's site for info on whether or not it is tempered glass. I have a 135G tank that I am setting up in this manner now.

Pauli said:
smart! I personally use a rubbermaid or generic rubbermaid container for sumps, or an old used 55 gal acrylic tank that might be too scratched up or hazed for any other display use.

Pauli said:
not a problem, especially if you build a good Durso-type of overflow standpipe. These will give you plenty of flow with a 1200 gph pump into two drains. With 4 ft of head and the occasionally enthusiastic GPH ratngs that many mfgrs post, overflowing will not be a problem, and as stated earlier, can be overcome by adding enough load or a relief T should that be necessary.

HTH!

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
tdwyatt said:
All-Glass and Oceanic are now made by the same comopny, excellent products in both lines.
Respectfully, Tom, I need to clarify this statement. All-Glass Aquariums and Oceanic Systems, Inc. are two separate companies, operating in two separate states. They *are* both owned by Central Garden and Pet (along with ESU/Coralife, Kent Marine, Kaytee, and a bunch of other companies). However AGA and Oceanic still operate independently of each other.

Oceanic is in Texas and AGA is in Franklin, Wisconsin. Their products are different - but similar... they both use Mega-Flow overflows etc., but Oceanic is still a higher-end brand.

Just FYI ;)

Jenn

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Thanks, Jenn, I was hoping for some clarification, I had be told by different people about 6 different POV (I guess that would have depended on what they wanted to sell, I feel much more confident in your responses.)

So the consolidation that folks talked about has never happened, I take it. Does this mean that there are no plans to combine the two?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts