The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 125g and looking for ideas on what kind and size motor should I get? Any suggestions would be helpful thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aqua clear aquatics CAP-1800, Im not sure it was the right thing to use any way but I turned off the power to do some work on the tank and when I turned it back on, no luck any way it's time to buy a new one and I want to get one that is strong enough. I have a 125 gal reef ready (not sure how to say this right) drilled on the left and right side so I have two returns and two intakes

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, it is submersable. I took my mag 7 off the skimmer and put it on the filter just for now, but it blows little bubbles every so offten and I don't know why, when I first bought the motors it happened with only the mag so I put the mag on the skimmer and used the aqua pump on the filter and everything was fine for 6 months until it crashed. So Im not sure I want to get another mag 7, or maybe its just to powerful and that is creating the bubbles. Their are no air issues so Im not sure what is the prob.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
mag's are good. the new quiet one's are good and have some really great prices on them. significantly lower than mag's.

the cap-1800 is not hte greatest pump. i have a cap 2200 on my 55. it's worked for me with no problems. however, if you look at it real close....it sure looks like a rio.. which is why i'm not putting it on the new tank.

i used ot have a problem with mine not turning off. and it turned out to be the initial power draw. i had to turn off my lights, then turn on the pump. then i could turn the lights back on.

if the lights are on, and i turn the pump on, no dice. i get nothing. it wount even pretend to start. turn the lights off, and then plug in the pump and there is no problem at all.

you might try that before ditching it. though a new pump might still be in order.

but i would recommend dissasembling the cap, clean it well. and try it again. it jsut may work.

·
Registered
119 Posts
that sounds strange for a pump to go with no warning.... even though u might want to replace it, it would still be nice to figure it out so u have a back up.... With the burst of bubbles on the Mag it sounds like it is pushing more than it too powerful

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
it may not be a burst of bubbles... is it when you first turn it on? my cap does the same thing.. i asked about that once before, and i was told it was salt build up in the pump. when the pump first kicks on it shakes it all loose, but its small. so it appears to be bubbles :)

not sure if thats what is going on with yours though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
no it happens about every 5 minutes, a huge burst of tinny bubbles. and it has done this from the first day I had ever hooked it up 8 months old now

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
hmmmmm i've got no clue..

anyone else????

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Jay, the burst of bubbles when ya first start the pump is cavitation of the impellar... It must have been Mojo that told ya it was salt build up... ;)

As for the intermitant bubbles from the Mag, there could be several reasons..

1. may be that the fittings on the pump are not good. Make sure to use Teflon tape when you screw the connector on...

2. How much water is above the intake of the pump?? When I get bubbles from my pump, there is only about an inch of water above where the pump intake is and it forms a little whirlpool in the water... Some air goes down this little whirlpool into the intake of the pump. If this is the case, increase the height of water in the sump. (This is most likely the problem, watch the sump and the pump for a few minutes)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
nice going damsel, now he wont be able to leave his house today because his head wont fit through the front door :)

good to hear you got it figured out.

i knew if enough ideas popped up one would be right :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jay, the wink freeked me out, when I looked at it for the first time I caught it before it winked and when it did it scared me. lol now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts