The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My issue is as follows:

Most of my SPSs are very lightly colored (popular!), BUT, I have to clean my glass from diatoms every couple/few days, and recently, it has gotten so bad that diatoms are now growing on my very faded monti. caps.

So: what is wrong? If I had dark corals, I'd know too much nitrates, but I have light ones, yet diatom issues. Is this too much silica+phosphates?

I have a crappy skimmer (ASM G-2), but I skim very wet (water level is about 1.5" from the top of the cup. I also syphon out detritus from my settling area in my sump once a week.

I have 12 fish now, and I was feeding pellets 2x a day, and also feeding rinsed mysis 2x a day. I have stopped feeding the pellets because since I began feeding more, more issues have shown up (caps got worse, and my chips has begun receeding from the tips down, which happened once before but somehow "corrected" itself).

My ORA tort is green/yellow bodied with light purple tips.

Lights are 2 x 250w DE HQI 14k Ushios (in ROIII reflectors) running for 4hrs/day (last week and before, 5-6hrs, but ive been trying to reduce). Also, 2x48" URI VHO actinics running for 10hrs/day.

How little could I run my MH lights with no daylight supplementation, and still get growth/color out of my SPS?

Why are my corals faded, yet I have diatom issues?

I've been trying to get my BB tank to work successfully for almost 2 years now, and while things have improved, I am still far away from the colors I see in other tanks. I am constantly fighting the urge to throw a DSB into my sump and see what happens.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mag stays around 1300 (tropic marin pro salt), Ca around 420, and Alk somewhere in the 9s. I run Kalkwasser for topoff through an aquamedic reactor. Salinity 1.026.

Hanna photometer; not a chance. No one in the area has anything nearly as advanced. I bought a salifert phosphate test kit (I know, crap), and did it several times at "2x resolution", but each time it showed nothing.

I have a silica test kit on the way.

·
Upgrade-Fever
668 Posts
I also have diatom/bacterial film growing on the glass. I have to clean it every 2 days also. I have no clue what is causing this. I don't consider my tank nutrient rich; nitrates and phosphates undetectable, heavy skimming and GFO and GAC filtration.

Sorry that I can't help you further :( I'm curious what the Silicate test will read.

I do have a RDSB, it don't make any difference... It did possibily helped to darken up my SPS (in combination with increased bioload)

Leonardo

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whats wrong with the G2- I have one on my 120 and it works fine- did you do the gate valve modicication ?

Compared to all the other heavier bioload tanks, a G2 seems very insufficient for BB. Also, my issue w/ the G2 hasnt been the ability to control the water level, but its skimmate production abilities.

but yeah, I have a valve control mod on it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also have diatom/bacterial film growing on the glass. I have to clean it every 2 days also. I have no clue what is causing this. I don't consider my tank nutrient rich; nitrates and phosphates undetectable, heavy skimming and GFO and GAC filtration.

Sorry that I can't help you further :( I'm curious what the Silicate test will read.

I do have a RDSB, it don't make any difference... It did possibily helped to darken up my SPS (in combination with increased bioload)

Leonardo

You're up to a bunch of fish, however, with the same water volume as I have, correct?

How many fish.. 20+ ?... But a nicer skimmer, right? Deltec aquabee modified?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whats your n03 test at? You could always send me a water sample, and I'll test it......

My nitrates were at 0 the last times I've checked.

... and I would totally be down with shipping you some water. PM me your address and how much water I should send!
:blob:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Red Sea silica test kit is showing aprox. .25ppm

What are other people getting from their tanks?

·
Big C*ck
172 Posts
I would say be on the lookout for bugs. Also if you were feeding your 12 fish with pellets 2x's a day, and mysis 2x's a day with a g-2, I would bet anything you have a po4 problem.

Send reefdaddy your water, but make sure the container you send it in is super clean.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I would check real hard for bugs I see no other reason you have mentioned for the issue at hand.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
OK, so if a G2 is inadequate for a BB system, would a G3 be OK or would you recommend a different skimmer alltogether?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PE is fine; no bugs. I've had RB before, know how to spot them, and know which specimens are targetted.

NoSchwag: I have temporarily stopped feeding the pellets, because the diatom burst I had was ridiculous, and I got extreme bleaching from my caps (I thought they liked nutrients!?)

I gotta get enough proper containers together for reef-daddy (thought I had enough test tubes but it doesnt seem like I do), so maybe he can tell me exactly where I stand with my water!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I obviously have a modest silica source in this tank.

Ill begin testing RO and tap water.

Other than that (and food), im gonna have to look to my faux-sand bed bottom (an untested creation) for the source of silicates, right?

·
Registered
307 Posts
So I obviously have a modest silica source in this tank.

Ill begin testing RO and tap water.

Other than that (and food), im gonna have to look to my faux-sand bed bottom (an untested creation) for the source of silicates, right?
I guess so, but I can't imagine what could be in that bottom thats leeching silicates. You know its been a while since I've tested fo Si maybe I'll run one over the weekend for ha ha's . I'll also test the samples you send me as well.

That said, you know at least part of your problem It will be interesting to see what you p04 tests out at.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
What did you make the faux-bottom out of? I could imagine, if made from some sort of silicate based product, it could easily release silica.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts