The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well I have completed my change out from my 55gal. over to my 125gal last week and everything seems to be doing fine. Now my wife has decided she wants to have a 55gal F/O Tank. Can someone tell me exactly how to set this up. No live rock, no live sand, just plain sand and fake things for the fish. Am I right in saying that I will still need to get all levels up in the tank like cal., mag., and of course the ph and sal. I don't want to make this harder than it needs to be. So used of dealing with my tank that I think I an thinking to hard. What is your imput for this F/O.

·
Administrator
18,746 Posts
You can do a fish only or a fish only with live rock (FO vs FOWLR). The FOWLR is similar to a reef tank in that you use the rock as your biological filtration.

The FO is not much different than a freshwater tank. You have a filter (canisters work well for this), a heater, some gravel, and a sunken pirate ship. ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would personally go with a FOWLR and run a skimmer on it. This will allow you to keep some "messy" fish with less water quality problems and the tank will also look more natural with live rock. It also gives some fish a natural food source. You do not have to keep the salinity high like in a reef. It is actually easier on the fishes organs to have it lower and it saves some $. Do not cover large areas of the bottom with rock because you will not be able to vacuum your substrate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts