The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i want to start adding a coral or 10 to my tank its been set up about 3 months now as a fowlr. my ammonia nitrates and nitrites are non existant. i have a 65 gallon hex tank about 50lbs live rock 1" cc sub. 15gallon sump css65 skimmer, coralife 1x65 10000k 1x65actinic lighting(all theres room for on top the tank) 610gph. have a percula clown and a radiata lion, and a clean up crew. lookin for beginner friendly types of corals, and what kind of water additives and testers should i get?(besides the amonia, ph, trate,and trite) also should i start with frags or get bigger ones?

·
Registered
454 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Xenia is a good one to start with
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
11,345 Posts
well i want to start adding a coral or 10 to my tank its been set up about 3 months now as a fowlr. my ammonia nitrates and nitrites are non existant. i have a 65 gallon hex tank about 50lbs live rock 1" cc sub. 15gallon sump css65 skimmer, coralife 1x65 10000k 1x65actinic lighting(all theres room for on top the tank) 610gph. have a percula clown and a radiata lion, and a clean up crew. lookin for beginner friendly types of corals, and what kind of water additives and testers should i get?(besides the amonia, ph, trate,and trite) also should i start with frags or get bigger ones?
Save your money on the ammonia and nitrIte IMO. Youve put in your time and they shouldnt ever exist. If you are missing a fish try to find it and get it out and it should be a non issue.
Alk, calcium, and phosphate are all that is crucial and you should buy salifert brand along with a pinpoint PH monitor. After you get used to how your tank runs, you will test alk less and less and just know when to buff according to your PH monitor readings. Magnesium will be a necessary test as you get into sps and clams.
Get a ph test as well if you dont go the monitor route but the monitor is a awesome thing allowing you to know the ph of your system at any given moment. It can give you a heads up to other stuff getting out of whack.

The only additives you need at this point is kent liquid calcium and kent superbuffer dkh IMO. Dose those according to directions and your test kits and you dont need anything else besides your regular water changes.

Under those lights, xenia, zoos, and mushrooms are all great corals to start with, as well as can add amazing colors to your tank

·
Registered
597 Posts
yes raise your ph, get calcium and dkh tests. shrooms, zoos, xenias are all great starter corals, good luck!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
that ph is low, but i believe a stable ph is much more valuable that a high fluctuation one, some might disagree. but my ph stays around 7.8-8 and its stable. animals can adapt to a ph change, but when they have to keep adapting is when it gets stressed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
just get the frags, if your tank is good to go, they will grow....have you decided if you'd like to stick to softies and lps, or sps corals? that has a big effect on what equipment and supplies you should get

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
You could also try a Frogspawn. I've had one for about 2 yrs. (green w/ pink tips) and it has grown significantly (5 heads when bought, now has 11 plus 3 I broke off and put in another tank). I have the same lighting as you, 2 x 65 cf, and I only have 2 x 9 cf in my 5 gallon tank and the frogspawn looks great in there, too.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea id like to eventually get a pendant. except where the tank is i have a 15' cathedral ceiling. not that it wouldnt work but not sure how it would look lol. was thinking maybe build a shelf over my tank and hang a pendant from that. but i could see that looking more ghetto than 10' chains lol. im sure eventually i will have to figure something out though, i like anenomes and clams so....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts