The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been reading about all of the return pumps available for a 120gal RR and I keep going in circles. I keep reading that the GenX Mak4 is a very good pump but it's very noisy. The Velocity T4 is VERY quiet but many people have had the motor casing crack from the heat. The Ampmaster may be overkill and also may kill me because of the price. The submersible pumps add too much heat to the tank. I've made many mistakes while in this hobby, such as buying a non reef ready tank, purchasing a CPR overflow that lost siphon and flooded my carpet, etc... Since I have not started my 120gal yet, I would like to minimize my mistakes this time. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I prefer the Little Giant pumps. Many different models to choose from. They are in the moderate range as far as noise and cost is concerned. They are work horses that if maintained properly will last a long time. Also they don't add alot of heat to your tank.

Unfortunatly like everything in this hobby you'll end up getting a never ending list of reccomended pumps.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wasabi, how long have you had them and how do you keep them cool? I like them because I've read that they are super quiet but because they don't have an internal cooling fan, they tend to get really hot. Many people swear against them because of that reason. I want to be able to sleep at night! I heard the Little Giant pumps are basically the same as the Mak4 in terms of noise.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Oscar I know of some good deals on external pumps if you need one .....t-1 custom sealife for 75 bucks....540gph at 3 feet of head....They also have one for 140$ that puts out 1200 at 3 foot of head....

Just let me know if you need one

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
c_k_kuehne said:
I prefer the Little Giant pumps.
Ditto, I have one of the 1200gph pumps that is 8 years old, still runs like a charm, although I am shopping for another now to keep in reserve. I may replace it just because it is so old and in continuous use.

I also have a number of the Supreme Mag pumps, in particular the 12's and an 18. Reliable and quiet.

I also have a Sen 900 driving a skimmer, they are cheap and have a good rep as well.

All this said, I just bought an Ampmaster for the new 180, as I have spoken with a number of folks that are successfully using them in large systems and their reputation is sterling. For systems with larger volumes, it may be better for you to use two pumps of equal flow capacity, as if one goes out, at least you will have some cirulation going until you can replace the inoperative one.

HTH, You will get a huge number of opinions on this.

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
i have had all three of them running continuosly for 18 months they are silent. i cant comment on the heat issues. i think for a small tank under 75 gallons you might have a 1 -2 degree rise in temp, i have never seen a temp rise on my 335. i have to heat the tank not cool it. but i also keep my temp at 66 degrees in the basement

1 - 7 of 7 Posts