The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm wanting to upgrade my current Marineland Protein Skimmer but I'm limited on space inside my sump and height under my cabinet. There is only 28" from the top to bottom inside the cabinet. So, until you get the skimmer up in the water column, you don't have the height to get the lid off. Thinking of going with an external skimmer, and looking for any suggestions about what anyone has and what their experience is with them. Thanks in advance!

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Yup, budget, size of tank, bioload, and coral ecotype demands...

there are non-external skimmers that are less than 25 inches with minimum clearance needs

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this tank is 90 gallons, has a light bioload in it (about 16 total inches of fish, handful of crabs and snails) and a mix of corals: softies, good bit of LPS, and some SPS. total flow is about 18-2200 GPH, and there is a 30 gallon sump under the tank in the cabinet. Lots of live rock, about 150 pounds worth between the tank and sump. In the sump, filter floss at the sump inlet, current protein skimmer, live rock compartment, DSB with Macro, reactor with GFO, separate reactor with carbon, another compartment with filter floss, then the return pump. At last check this weekend, sal 1.025, phos .02, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, Mag 1320, Ca 480, Alk 8.4. Footprint and height to locate the new skimmer externally is pretty much unlimited and budget is up to $1000. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Well, you could pretty much get whatever you want. :lol:

Basically, you run however much water through the skimmer you demand necessary and then get as much air as possible from the skimmer itself. You really can run a "slowish" flow rate through a big skimmer and maximize the efficiency through massive airdraw and a long dwell time.

Off the top of my head, look at the Super Reef Octopus 2000EXT and 3000EXT. Maybe the Avast CS-1 Recirc as well.

You could also go with a smaller, less expensive DNWB model but since you are at a higher price point, there is a big benefit to the Bubble Blaster equipped models.

· Registered
4 Posts
Exactly the advice I was looking for as well. I had been looking at the Reef Dynamics and MRC recirculating skimmers. My tank is/will be 180, mixed fish and coral, and budget for the skimmer up to 1500. When folks use a recirculating external skimmer, do they tend to change their sump design/capacity, or not?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.