The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a exquisite 2 days ago watched him at the lfs for about a week looked very healthy..i acclimated for lil over an hour (lights were off during acclimation). The next day lights came on everyone was happy he ate (and is still eating). I leave for work and comeback to him hiding in the back of the tank near the sand and wont come out from there. I figured ots getting used to the its new tank mates. Which consists of a pair of ocellaris, a flame angel, black cap basslet, a whipfin fairy wrasse, a lubbocks fairy wrasse and a dispar anthias. I havent seen any aggression between the wrasse but today the exquisite looks lethargic and theres moments where he actually lays on the sand. Is this something thats normal for exquisites ? Neither of the other wrasse did this..any information will be a great help. Thanks

Ps its a 65 dt with a 20 gallon sump and is 2 years old will try to post pocs or video when internet gets back up. Thanks again

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do think that is quite a bit of fish for a 65 but didnt plan to add anything after the exquisite, also planned on getting rid of the flame and lubbocks wrasse when i move in a few months.. Guess i never realised how many fish i had... The tank always seemed bare cause the clowns never leave the nem and the black cap is always in his cave as well as the dispar.. Seems like the only fish swimming are the flame and 2 wrasse......dang

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he does that briefly then starts swimming around...im quite confused...i've heard of them completely disappearing for many days to only emerge perfectly fine....but i dont think this is one of those cases...thanks for your time wii64 its appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya he gets up takes a couple bites swims around the back of the tank then back to laying down after the food is gone. I havent seen any flicking or visable signs of sickness.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Hmmm… This is a tough one. Some wrasses just act weird when you first add them. I wouldn't quarantine him as there are really no other signs of sickness and that just might stress him out more.

Best advice I have is to keep feeding small amounts and just wait it out. There isn't much else to do.

Also, could you post a video of what happens just before, during, and after you feed the tank? That would be very helpful.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
man unfortunately i've been doing small feedings all day to give him the best shot, since if i lose him it would have been the first fish i've lost since jumping into saltwater. And i dont know if it would be a good idea to add more nutrients as ive done 4 small feedings already. But ill try to catch him swimming around, i think me walking up to the tank all the time may be doing more harm then good..my lights just went into their "evening" so maybe that will reduce the stress..I have read maybe to turn the lights off for a couple days could help...but im concerned it will have negative effects on my RBTA and other corals.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
starting to see more chasing...in the video i posted you can see pretty much the whole extent of the chase but its not very frequent..should i try to get one of those plastic two way breeders and isolate him in there ? I think that could cause quite a bit of stress though....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
didnt get a chance to try to put him in the two way breeder. I thought it could have made the stress even worse. but hes doing much better not laying on the sand, and overall looking a lot better. He's exploring more and more in these last couple days. Thanks for the advice though wii64.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts