The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well lately I have been doing a lot of conversation with myself, and to be honest. Its been wether or not to leave TRT. I have been with this forum since i first started saltwater, have met and became friends with a few, but have found activate lately to be a bit lacking. So to be quiet honest, almost every topic I make/post. Is looked at a good bit, but really no comments, accept from some of my friends on here. So Maby my last post, so here it goes.

So i started wit ha used Custom 75 gallon tank i got of CL.

The silicone was a bit rough, so I decided to reseal the tank. So after a bunch of people local and of TRT floging me for wanting to do it, I found Nate_Bro. Talked to him and got a hell yeah, so HELL YEAH, I resealed the tank under his guidance.

Glass a cleaned and taped off. Did a think bead to make sure it would do good for years to come.

Ok so while the tank was cureing i decided to build my stand for the custom tank. Odd size tank

34*22*24

So custom stand here we go. I suck at it but we will see.

So we start wit ha 2x4 frame. ( I wanted a lip around my tank because I like the look of it, and well no and really I like it :) ).

Not bad looking if I say so my self. Now we start the hard part.

I decided to go with Birch Plywood, I just like the way birch stains, alot of people like the oak, but birch looks good to me. so Birch it is.

Decent looking, decent looking. O CRAP WHERE ARE THE DOORS!?!?!?! :)

Well i have a trick for doors,yours skill saw blade is 1.5 inches away frm the trim. I wanted a 3 inch lip around the doors and the trim. So i got a 1.5 inch piece of wood as my guide and just cut along it, Simple enuf right???
And presto chango DOORS

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok so Phase 2, of this project was staining and getting the tank set up. Well sadly, I didnt get a pic of me staining so heres pic of tank and stand.

Wow, looks nice, I thought it did, but first time I posted it to TRT no responces, so I felt like it sucked, but my wife, friends, and random people loved it so I got over it.

So, I got my overflow kit from amazon in and installed, and Ready to fill the tank, O and my dry sand from Petsmart on same 2, 40 lbs bags 29.99 HELL YES. Anways, transferr day is upon me, and have already worked a 16 hour shift. So... I but a bulkhead seal on backwards, and found out my hole for my bulkead, i cant fit a wrench in so DRAIN IT. LOL

OK 28 hours of no sleep and finally done, here IT IS. Well kinda can see...

Notice the bright tripple puck kit.

One day Later tank has cleared.

OOO kinda bubbly, LOL So BRS TO THE RESCUE. Filter socks.
Thats better

· Registered
3,418 Posts
The pics will get you hits...that is for sure..
But i completely understand and get your feelings....
I feel the same way, many times, over and over again and i have registration on 2 other forums and get less response from those, and they are bigger than TRT.
For now i have figured i will post what i want and ask for help when i need it, if it does not come, i will do what i know and have researched and then post that, ...i hope that i can help someone else that might be in the same situation that i am in and keep them on TRT.
Even though i have may have ruffled some feathers here in the past, TRT is, and will always be my home for Saltwater.
Whatever direction you decide to go, just have FUN WITH IT...life is to short my friend.

· Registered
963 Posts
I feel the same way, many times, over and over again and i have registration on 2 other forums and get less response from those, and they are bigger than TRT.
/QUOTE]

I've had the same experience occasionally too. I always figured maybe I was asking a question that was either too dumb or boring for anyone to answer. I try to research alot prior to asking, but sometimes you just need to ask. I'm not on any other forums, but I just figured that's how they all are...I don't know, overall I've had a great experience on here

By the way Explozive: tank looks great and I like the DIY stand. Seems like alot of room under it. Is the rock stacked against the glass, or do you have flow behind it?

:beer:

EDIT: oops, don't know what happened with that quote

· Registered
3,418 Posts
/QUOTE]

I've had the same experience occasionally too. I always figured maybe I was asking a question that was either too dumb or boring for anyone to answer. I try to research alot prior to asking, but sometimes you just need to ask. I'm not on any other forums, but I just figured that's how they all are...I don't know, overall I've had a great experience on here

By the way Explozive: tank looks great and I like the DIY stand. Seems like alot of room under it. Is the rock stacked against the glass, or do you have flow behind it?

:beer:

EDIT: oops, don't know what happened with that quote
you lost the [ on the quote..LOL
I personally have had to understand, or handle, or just accept, that i have not been on here long enough, or said the correct things, to earn the respect of some of the veterans. I am willing to learn and hopefully give accurate advise to ones who need it as i learn it and experience it myself.
Someday we will have to take over for the Vets and be the guidance for TRT......Oh help me and all to follow...LOL

· Registered
1,672 Posts
That is a great tank size!!! I wish I could find one of those and ditch the hex in the kids room!! Looks great man!!

For what it's worth I'm glad you are/were on here because if you remember when I had an issue you pmed me your number and were willing to talk to me on the phone rather than through pms...very cool IMO and thanks again for that!! Not many people would do that so thanks again and I hope you decide to stay cuz clearly you have the knowledge to create and maintain an awesome looking tank!!

Stewie

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I try ot help and give as much positive and reliable information as i can for my years in the hobbie. I might not write it all down, but usually if you PM me I will igve yphone number and let you call me and pick my brain. :0. Actualy have a project under way building a light system for production. Dont want to say to much on here because i believe it will, well re-face the LED lighting community if i do it right.

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, here it is. My light well my heat sinks just hanging. I hate it, i don't like any pre-built light fixture with the heat-sinks just EXPOSED, Sols Rapid Onyx, any of them they just look horrible. So i thought what could i do, well. I am good with wood, but that's not to appealing to everyone. So metal. Would be kool but not new, or reliable. in hte long run, as far as shock proof, or have a WOW factor.

Went with acrylic, its cheaper, easy to mold, and its personable. I can make them anycolor, I can also put custom graphx on each light and remove them. So lets say you want to show off your club, or company at local meet, or even manca. Custom graphx on the light its self. Its light weight, portable and well i think sexy looking. Custom tailored to the customer for there needs, not just what I think is right.

( Here is my prototype build)
So here we go I started with a acrylic box custom made, like the ones i will make, its 24x12x5.

Bottom is clear, sides and top are black. Top is detachable for easy maintenance and cleaning, and adding accents if you wish. But i did have to drill and tap a few pieces to get the hold they way i wanted, so drilled taped and countersunk the bolts so nice flush and sleek finish.

Now i am test fitting my LED's into the unit, and make sure they they don't slide of move around in the unit during transport, or just whatever i do.

Now wiring, I like these drivers, but they are getting changed soon, to a smaller/more custom

My new custom wire-harness will clean up the mess and well, the Sex apeal of my wiring. :)

Testing the wiring.

Alright so now i mount my Rapid controller in the side.

Just for some added protection. Did some fans in the back, just for the cooling of the LEDS. Production model will have this optional extra fans. Or just holes for heat sink fans. But Will do nice looking fan dust cover at top.

Yes one power-cord

So here is the old way hanging.
Super bright and washed out my room, and just didn't look good to me.

Here is now. Sleek sexy, and well awesome, and I can tell what color my Christmas tree lights are, and not feel like i walked into a tanning bed, when i only went into my living room.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.