The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lr that has exploded with featherdusters. I love the movement but should I be concerned about my other coral on that rock they are close to my elegance and a candy cane. Or will the featherdusters move once stung?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Are they feather dusters or maybe tunacits...either way niether of those would cause any problems.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Photos would be nice

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try to get some pics tomorrow my lightsc are already off for the night and they are squished inbetween some rocks

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok just took a few photos with my phone have to upload from my tablet so it'll be a few to get close enough to see the feathers you can't see the surrounding corals did you need pics of proximity or just the feather in question

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm finally gonna get those pictures up now I'm not going to lie I have some nice clear pictures of the slightly larger ones but the baby ones that took over my overflow just look like snowballs mixed with sponges and amphipodsb lol but at least you'll be able to see the extent of the "explosion" lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can't make out the picture well, but i don't see any feather dusters. All those white circles look like spirobid worms. The grow everywhere. filters, glass, rock, they typically explode. featherdusters.. not known to reproduce rapidly to my knowledge.

http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm

they are supremely harmless filter feeders. absolutely no worries. scrape em off if ya feel like.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They aren't spinoid worms they do not have the dual tentacles that come out of a spinoid. They have unmistakable featherduster crowns and they all showed up within a few weeks of adding a giant Hawaiian featherduster. A few of the dots are sponges and even less are stomatella snails my camera can't focus on so many dots! Lol I'll see if a can't get it to focus on one that's not in the pack.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
They are Pileolaria sp. They are feather dusters with a calcium carbonate base tube. They normally grow on the glass can reproduce rapidly if food is available.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
They aren't spinoid worms they do not have the dual tentacles that come out of a spinoid. They have unmistakable featherduster crowns and they all showed up within a few weeks of adding a giant Hawaiian featherduster. A few of the dots are sponges and even less are stomatella snails my camera can't focus on so many dots! Lol I'll see if a can't get it to focus on one that's not in the pack.
there are small all sorts of worms that make crowns like this, feather dusters are actually worms too, all of them are harmless, they wont harm your coral, and if a coral will sting them, they wont build a tube next to it.

i would be more concerned about the numbers, usually a large increase in something like this shows that you have excess nutrients in the water to support them. if your tank is young, then they will die out as the nutrients are used up and the tank stabilizes, but if its an established tank, then you might consider increasing your maintenance and nutrient export.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/8/inverts

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/media/5450/Feather-duster-worm
These are what I have and yes they are species of feather dusters. The crowns are single circle like a hawaiia featherduster and yes I'm aware they are all filter feeding worms. My tank ks very nutrient rich due to some unusual species I keep such as my sea pen and carmation. But my water parameters dont suffer from it jist my back due to all the wc. As statedearlier in this thread also they all appeared after my hawaiian shed his crown which i have read can be a sign of reproduction. However i also have a hard tube coco worm.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found some that have become large and i can get better pictures I will get those up later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts