The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear talk of sump, as you can tell I am new, what is it?

or

Better yet I bought this filter:

Amiracle Pro-Line PL-3000 Wet Dry Filter w/ dual protine skimmers
http://www.seatrademarine.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=APL3000P&Category_Code=FWD

It was expensive and I hope good for a 90 gallon reef. Is this what they mean when they talk about a sump if not explain further ?

Also I have read about the Berlin style reef that does not need a filter just a great amount of rock and skimming ?

I like the natural look will adding this filter to a reef tank be a bad idea ?
(clashing high tech with low tech ?)

I know there are a lot of questions here any insight will be valued.
Thanks Ed

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
For a reef system it is usually recommended to use a sump instead of the trickle filters the Bio-Balls can keep nitrates high which is OK for fish only but detrimental in a reef
Here is a pic of my sump when it was shiny and new :)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
First off, welcome to TRT!!!!!!

A sump is basically a tank of water that is connected to the system which increases the systems total wtaer volume and stability, and provides a place to put injured creatures and/ or/ equipment such as in sump skimmer, pumps, and so on. The filter you have is good, put remove the bio balls becuase they trap detridus and produce nitrates. Dont use any bio balls. With this filter with no bio balls, and good tuning of the provided skimmers, and 1- 2 lbs of live rock per gallon, thats a good set up. :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just to make sure I got it right.
Run this filter with no Bioballs,
It is 90 gallons so my 200lb rocks and the dual skimmers on filter are all I need ?
Do I have this right ? and is that the "berlin" method ?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is black Hawaiian sand and not sure how much. Should I get rid of this ?
Sorry I am new but what does run the skimmers "wet" mean ?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did read about a dozen books through, because this is new to me and there were some ideas about not running substrate at all and some about huge DSB. What is the consensus ?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
well visit the Bare bottom fourm (substrate free tank husbandry) for more info on no bottom at all. I would go with a DSB. not to deep, maybe 4 inches. Not one of those overkill DSB that take up half of the tanks hihgt and are like 6 inches.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
there is a huge debate about deep sand beds and bare bottoms and shallow sand beds. all of them have their ups and downs, so find one you think looks the best, and figure out the best way to make that one thrive. if your planning on keeping small polyp stoney corals, the bare bottom will be your best bet. as for softies and large polyped, and of the methods work great.

as for wet skimming vs dry skimming, it will make alot more sense when you start to fiddle with your skimmers, but basically, running wet, lets more water flow out with the bubbles, producing "wetter" gunk, in stead of thick dark gunk. youll see, it will make sense, i promise.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
running a skimmer wet means you will be getting a tea coloured liquid out of the collection cup. if you get a chunky brown foam than it is to dry, raise the water level in the skimmer.

as for substrates. here are very basics. i can give you plenty of threads if you want the reasonings behind all of this if you want.

BB- easy maintenance schedule, but needs to be done regularly. extreme amounts of flow possible. any problems are easily corrected with water changes.

DSB- very forgiving. the DSB acts like a sponge. the entire DSB will need to be replaced once it is full. maintenance schedule is very leniant untill the DSB is full. are not able to get the high flow rates needed for some corals. needs to be at least 4" deep in order to be truely beneficial. anything less than this and it is just a sponge and no real biological activity working.

SSB- can be viewed as the best or the worse of both worlds. deep cleaning of the SB needs to happen or it will fill up and need to be completely replaced. depending on the composition of the SSB extreme flow rates can be acheived.

G~

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Hi Fellow NYer
I had Bio balls in my sump and couldn't get my Nitrate below 44. I joined he a few weeks ago and after talking with these fine folks I decided to upgrade my skimmer and remove all of my bio balls. To be honest it freaked me out a little removing all of the bio balls but I did. I removed the last yesterday and started my new skimmer yesterday as well. I haven't tested my nitrates yet because I want to give it a little time. However I can tell you my corals seem to be happier today. So take their advise and avoid the bio balls.
Patrick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts