The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dances with fire
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know bare bottom or sand bottom but why bb?????????? i'am some what new to reefing and i don't understand.:confused:

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
hi joel , i will explain from a b.b. user . since most people that go b.b. tend to keep mostly acro's , they, me tend to like to have control of the importing and exporting of nutrients . barebottom gives the freedom to use extremely high flow and turn-over rates that most cannot achieve with sand . that said, there are lots of people that have successful sps tank with sand . alot depends on what you are trying to keep, as the method you chose may depend on it. their are other points to b.b. and i suggest you read both sides . now what if i tell you their are some out there that don't believe in using a bunch of live rock :) !

·
Dances with fire
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow ok, i kinda understand, but how does bb control the importing and exporting of nutrients.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
you can turn up the flow and blast the bottom of the tank so no poop settles on it, or when you vaccum, you get it spotless. its much easier to clean and keep clean.

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
leveldrummer said:
you can turn up the flow and blast the bottom of the tank so no poop settles on it, or when you vaccum, you get it spotless. its much easier to clean and keep clean.
to add alittle bit to l.d.'s statement with the added flow we are looking to keep the detritus from settling at all (though there may be some small pockets ) keep it in the water column and down to your sump where the skimmer can do its thing .between the siphoning and skimmer you are able to 'export' the detritus , which inturn allows you to maybe feed your fish a little more .

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Joel Neal said:
ok now i get it thank yall, it might have been a stupid question but i'am learning!
no such thing!! :beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts