The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a client that has about a 200 gallon tank that I spent all day today cleaning. after speaking with him about cycling the tank he wants me to find something to cycle the tank faster. so can anybody recommend an additive to cycle the tank faster so I can present it to him.

thanks

Fred

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, give him your tank. -kidding-

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he could probable buy my tank LOL

·
Registered
827 Posts
dont let him talk you into making it faster alot of those additives dont speed up the cycle they generally cover up the spikes and make it seem as if its cycled just tell him its not safe i"ve been in this situation before you hurry things along and they are ready for fish then the fish die and they are mad about that you are the professional urge them to wait

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I agree with everyone here....

But TLC makes this GREAT bioculture that is completely live and it claims to cycle your tank within 3 days. I personally didnt use it to cycle my tank but have heard good things from other people.

However, I did use it to add some "biodiversity" to my tank. I cant say I noticed any difference but my tank was completely cycled with 0 readings on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. There wasnt anything to be noticed for that matter.

Also.....as much fully cured live rock from established tanks helps sooooo much.

·
Super Moderator
27,422 Posts
How long has his cycling been going, Fred? When I cycled my tank, I put raw shrimp in it.

My tank was only a 29, so I don't know how many it would take for a large tank. I guess it took about a week, and it looked pretty funny with a single shrimp on the crushed coral/sand bed. :funny:

·
Super Moderator
27,422 Posts
Come to think of it, I don't think I had sand in the tank yet.:doh:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The more I think about it the more I need to just let the tank run it course. I also did not mention that the tank sat for two years not running with water in it and almost all the water evaporated. So the 350 pounds of rock sat in stagnant water and then dried out as the water evaporated.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The more I think about it the more I need to just let the tank run it course. I also did not mention that the tank sat for two years not running with water in it and almost all the water evaporated. So the 350 pounds of rock sat in stagnant water and then dried out as the water evaporated.
I bet there's enough old crud in those rocks to give you an ammonia reading right now. I wonder if any of the old beneficial bacteria might still be lying dormant? You might end up with a shorter cycle anyway; I don't know for sure.

·
Administrator
18,788 Posts
Oh...that's something big to leave out. ;)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know it's all about the details. LOL: forgive me I wrote that at 10 after cleaning that thing all day and removing all 250 -300 pounds of really nice rock that I would like in my tank. (minus the sitting dormant for 2 years.)

Oh well. You also would not believe the skeletons I was pulling out. I bet when the power was pulled there was a beautiful reef tank that was just going to sit and die. sad to say.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,360 Posts
sit on your hands son

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that I am going to run out there tomorrow and salt the tank add a smell dead fish or squid (left over from the boat bait pile) in the sump and begin the pain staking process. (not for me but the owner.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
In a video on youtube I saw, a guy squeezed out 1/2 of a sponge/filter sock from a well established tank into the new tank water, as well as taking a cupful of sand from that same tank and putting that into the new one, is there any issues doing that? Would that help speed up the cycle by introducing more bacteria to the system right away? I just saw it and I'm wondering if that would help at all.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
People will tell you not to consider it, everyone said that to me.
But get Right Now Bacteria, it works, it's awesome, and I have pity for those who WON'T try it... using the system you can save a ton of time and money.
I won't ever have another tank without it because of the savings of time, money, and equipment...
I went out on a limb when I got the system because I was warned not to, but after spending the 60$ or whatever, I feel bad for those who talk down about it and have not seen it in action... /shrug their loss :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts