The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Too Busy Fishy
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the new lights in place (pictures coming later, waaay too busy ATM), I'm discovering that 1150 watts of MH and associated eballasts in a 6 foot by 10 foot room, not surprisingly, causes some heat issues.

I have a 100CFM bath style fan exhausting to the outside, but I'm thinking about upgrading it.

Fans that move significantly more air than that start to get more expensive... Home Depot has one that claims it'll move 300 CFM, but at $135 + duct work, I'd consider getting a portable air conditioner and venting THAT to the outside.

If I leave the door to the fishie room open to the cooler air in the main room, it's not a problem, except the door is there to keep kiddies out, so I'd like to be able to close it.

And, all else being equal, I'd rather spend $300 on an A/C unit, then spend $1,000 on a chiller, which will STILL raise the air temp in the room.

Thoughts?

-Ron

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Can't you just put a vent through the door/wall into the fish room from the basement, so you're getting more fresh air into the room.

·
Too Busy Fishy
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but that incoming fresh air must displace outgoing hot air, which I want to go outside, especially in summer.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Becareful anything over 100 cfm and you will want to size the fresh air coming into the home or your going to create a vacuum and start pulling Carbon monoxide back down your exhaust for your water heater furnace etc.. And well that would be bad..... The are many heat load calculators available on the web. See how much heat is being generated by your pumps and lights. Then you will know how big a AC to get. Plenty of inexpensive split systems out there that will work great for your room. Just a few thoughts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Achilles Tang said:
Becareful anything over 100 cfm and you will want to size the fresh air coming into the home or your going to create a vacuum and start pulling Carbon monoxide back down your exhaust for your water heater furnace etc.. And well that would be bad..... The are many heat load calculators available on the web. See how much heat is being generated by your pumps and lights. Then you will know how big a AC to get. Plenty of inexpensive split systems out there that will work great for your room. Just a few thoughts

Even with these high efficiency furnaces that pump the exhaust out. And what about powervent water heaters?

·
Registered
278 Posts
jimmyjoebob said:
Even with these high efficiency furnaces that pump the exhaust out. And what about powervent water heaters?
Yes... If you take air out then it has to be made up from somewhere. When the house goes into a vacuum then the exhuast fan you installed will suck air back through any opening to the outside there is. The induced draft motors on furnaces and water heaters are not that strong only ment to keep exhaust flowing out. So a large exhaust fan will over power them and suck Carbon Monoxide back down their flu's. If you do have a fresh air already it is sized for the existing bath & kitchen fans already in your home. Not to make this really scary but there is at least one story a year in the paper or on the news from home owners who do not understand how a house breathes or stack affect and they all died in their sleep from cabon monoxide due to negative pressure in their homes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts